After we have seen how to update the Sony Xperia Arc and Arc S with official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, now I will show you how to apply the same on a Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V handset. Being the official release of the software, you should be getting the ICS update directly on your phone (OTA-Over The Air) but in case you don’t, this tutorial is going to teach you how to manually install the latest version of the Android platform on your own Xperia Neo V smartphone.
As you might know, in our recent step by step guides, we have showed you how to flash a custom ROM on the Neo V; if the CyanogenMod 9 custom ROM is running on your device, then you will not be able to get the official ICS update on it. But don’t worry, the CM team will ensure that you get the best updates for your phone system.
We all know that the Neo V is a relatively new handset, it was first released last year on October, but its specs are not that impressive. It comes with a 5 MP rear facing camera with autofocus and LED flash, 512 MB RAM, a 1 GHz Scorpion processor, a 3.7 inch LED-backlit LCD display and the Android 2.3 Gingerbread on board. But now, you can customize the system by installing the official and long ago-promised Ice Cream Sandwich OS update. The firmware is named ICS ST18i_4.1.A.0.562 and is bringing several improvements and Google Play and Wi Fi bug fixes.
Remember that the present release of the software is coming straight from Sony and can be installed on any Xperia Neo V devices, though it should not be applied on the network locked phones. The warranty will not get void; if it still does you can reclaim it back as this is the official ICS firmware and not any unofficial, or beta updates. Furthermore, if you have a rooted smartphone, after installing the OS, the root access will be revoked. You will have to gain it back but only by following a guide that suits the new version of the software; else you can brick your device.
We can now get to the things that real matter: the proper procedure. But first you must backup the Neo V. Each time you make operations with your phone, all of the data stored on its internal memory might get wiped out. So, be sure that you previously saved your personal info, just for avoiding the unpleasant situations. You can anytime follow one of our how to guides:
- Download and install SMS backup and restore for Android.
- Download call log backup and restore.
- Sync contacts and data with your Google Gmail account.
- Save any other data to your computer on the phone’s SD card.
- Make a ROM backup by using the clockworkmod recovery tool. In this way you can use the old OS if somehow something isn’t working with the new one.
After taking care of your data, it’s time to prepare the phone and the computer you will have to use for the installation process. So, take a look and complete the Pre Requisites from the list below:
- Before starting, disable or uninstall the antivirus or any other security programs installed on the handset or on the PC. These tools can interrupt the update.
- Then, charge your handset until the battery status indicates at least 60% power left.
- Go an enable the USB debugging option from the device. “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. Disconnect it from the computer when trying to do this.
- If there is any ROM installed on your phone, make a full wipe first from clockworkmod recovery.
- Remember to apply the update only on the unlocked network Xperia Neo V phones.
You can go a start updating your Android based smartphone, as it is now prepared. Read and do all as it is explained below. Don’t do things on your own as you can brick your device.
How to Manually Update Xperia Neo V with Official ICS 4.0.3 Firmware
- Download flash tool (download link here) and an update for the same from here and save the files on your computer.
- Rename the update as “C” and unzip it by placing the files on the same folder as flashtool.
- Agree with any prompt.
- Go to flashtool and open the flashtool.exe executable. Then go to the path “C:/ flashtool -> firmwares”. Make sure you delete all the files and then exit.
- You can now download the update package from here.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Connect the phone with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Select the .ftf file and copy it to “C:/ > flashtool -> firmwares”.
- Again run the flash tool executable.
- Tap the flashing option and choose “flashmode”.
- From the list displayed on the right you should check the following: Wipe user data, wipe cache and no final verification check.
- Click on “ok”.
- The process is now beginning.
- Be patience until it ends.
- The handset should reboot on its own. Be aware that the reboot might take up to 10 minutes.
- Disconnect the device from the computer.
Well, that was all. You can now enjoy the official Android ICS 4.0.3 Firmware on your own Xperia Neo V. Test the update and see how it works. If you are not satisfied by it you can anytime flash a custom ROM into the phone’s system. In this way you can also power up its performances, but it’s your decision to make. You have all the information needed for this in our previous step by step guides, so check them out.