Great news guys as finally Sony released an OS update for its Xperia Play handsets. The firmware has just been launched, so during the following, I will show you how to apply the same on your smartphone. Make sure you read all the lines from this tutorial because if not you can wreck your phone. There are many aspects to consider before deciding to install or not the software, so make sure you can safely complete this procedure. Further details are explained below, check them out and see if you can handle it.
First of all the release of the present ICS firmware is coming from Sony (it’s official) but it’s provided only for the developers who are testing the software in order to come with the best Android 4.0 version that suits the Xperia Play devices. This means that the ROM is still in its beta variant. Unfortunately, there are no words yet about the official release of the full ICS OS update for your Play, so if you just can’t wait, this is all you get. But remember that this is only the beta version and it might not work perfectly.
Furthermore, the most important aspect is referring to the phone’s warranty. If you choose to apply the ICS Android 4.0 beta custom ROM firmware on your Xperia Play, you will void the warranty. In case if something wrong is happening, or if your phone or its system gets damaged, you will be on your own. Also, being a beta version of the software I recommend you to install it only if you have some experience on this matter, or if you are used with this kind of operations. If you are an entry level user maybe it will be a good idea to stop going forward.
Now, as already mentioned, the release of the present update might come with several bugs, not all the features from ICS being included in this beta version (Google apps, including Face Unlock, Gmail, and Google Maps). Also, some games might not work properly once you apply the firmware. This can be a really negative aspect considering that the Xperia Play was developed especially to combine the classic phone with the ability of Sony’s PSP. Beside these, you will get the new and latest Android ICS experience right on your own device.
Before you begin the proper how to guide, you must first prepare some things. First, in order to succeed you must have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to your smartphone and to its USB cord. Then you must make some operation on your PC and on your phone. Just follow:
- As a precaution you must backup the data from your phone. You can use apps from the Android Market / Google Play, or you can follow another step by step guide explained by us. Choose and use what you think it’s better.
- If you have antivirus programs installed on the PC or on your handset deactivate them or else you can’t make through the process.
- Charge the smartphone until it reach at least 70% of its battery power.
- You must first unlock the Xperia Play bootloader. If not you will not be able to update its system.
- The Play should run the latest software release, which is build number 4.0.2.A.0.42.
- On the computer Fastboot must be installed.
The present guide was first tested by developer.sonymobile so we have them to thank. You can now start the proper tutorial. Make sure you do all as explained and read carefully.
How to Update Xperia Play with beta ICS Android 4.0 custom ROM
- First of all you need to get the firmware. Therefore download the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM for Xperia PLAY from here and place it to your computer.
- Extract the file downloaded in the fastboot folder from the PC.
- Connect the phone with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On the PC open command prompt. For achieving this, go to: Start -> run -> cmd.
- In cmd go to the fastboot directory by using the “cd” and “D:” or “C:” commands.
- Then you must flash the three beta ROM files; type the following commands: “fastboot flash boot ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\boot.img”, “fastboot flash userdata ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\userdata.img”, “fastboot flash system ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\system.img”.
- In the end, reboot the phone and disconnect it from the computer by removing the USB cable.
- That’s it.
That was the whole thing; I hope that everything went as planned and without errors. If different share the issues with us so we can advice you what and how to resolve them. Stay close as we will update you as soon as something fresh comes out, such as the official OS update, which should be released in the coming weeks.