Sony just made available a new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OTA for the Xperia S and Xperia SL, so as usual I will be showing you how to manually install the new official firmware on your smartphones. The update is dubbed as 6.2.B.0.211 and brings important, though minor, improvements and bug fixes therefore flash the JB 4.1.2 OS on your Xperia S / SL if you want to fix the battery drain issue and for gaining speed and upgrading the Android experience that is currently running on your device.
The 6.2.B.0.211 software has been officially released by Sony and the same is available via PC companion though since this is an OTA launch not all the Xperia S and SL users will receive the ROM at the same time. Also, if you haven’t receive the update until now, or if your device is rooted (the official updates can’t be installed on rooted handsets by using PC companion) then I recommend you to use and apply this tutorial which will easily take you through the manual flashing operation; of course in the end, your Sony Xperia S / SL will be running on latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 6.2.B.0.211 OS.
Now let’s see how you can prepare your phone for the update operation that will shortly follow; also read the next lines for learning more about the present procedure and the things that it implies.
- This is the official release of the Android system, so you will not update your Xperia S / SL with a custom ROM firmware. Therefore, the warranty of your device will not get void by completing this step by step guide.
- The tutorial is suitable with both Sony Xperia S and Sony Xperia SL handsets as the 6.2.B.0.211 JB 4.1.2 software has been released for the same devices.
- Furthermore, this guide can be performed on both rooted and rooted handsets; if your device is rooted though, after applying the stock firmware, the root access will be revoked.
- This is an official operation, but you will not use PC companion for flashing the ROM; instead another flashing tool will be used, so don’t worry, you have all the details needed explained here.
- Due to same considerations, you will have to use a computer, your phone and its USB cable.
- Then, for ensuring that everything will go as planned, first of all you will have to: deactivate the security tools that are installed on both computer and smartphone; charge the battery of your device or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure; enable the USB debugging option on your phone by going to “Settings -> More -> Development Options -> USB debugging”.
- Do backup the Xperia S and SL data before going any further as your personal info might get corrupted or even erased. So, ensure that everything that’s important for you is in safe hands – use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play and save the contacts, call logs, internet settings, market apps, text messages, EFS folder and even the current ROM.
You are almost ready for the update operation. Anyway before starting the proper guide remember that Sony released the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 6.2.B.0.211 firmware only for the Xperia S and Xperia SL, so don’t use this tutorial if you own a similar or different handset – you can end up in bricking your Android based smartphone / tablet.
How to Update Xperia S and Xperia SL to Latest Official JB 4.1.2 Firmware
- Download the firmware package and the Flash tool app on your computer.
- Get the update from here and the tool from here.
- Install Flash tool on your computer (run it and follow the prompts).
- Now, launch the app by clicking on the “thunder” symbol.
- Then, you need to select “Flashmode” and “ok”.
- Up next, from the same app select “…” and pick the .ftf file (the update firmware) which you have downloaded before.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Press Volume Up button and while pressing the same connect your device with the computer; use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Once the connection enabled, the update process will start automatically.
- Don’t press anything just wait while the OS is being applied.
- Then, the first boot of your Xperia S / SL will take longer than usual, but there is nothing wrong with your handset.
- Finally, go to “Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number” and check whether the 6.2.B.0.211 ROM is there or not.
That was all; congratulations, your Sony Xperia S / Xperia SL has been updated to latest and official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 6.2.B.0.211 firmware. Remember that the software is also available via PC companion as this is an alternative method for the same.