Update Sony Xperia S to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich AOKP custom ROM firmware
Sony Xperia S was launched at the beginning of this year at CES 2012 and it came with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, but Supervenom, an XDA Senior Member managed to create a port of the popular AOKP ROM for Sony Xperia S that allows users to flash and install Android 4.0.4 ICS AOKP custom ROM firmware.
This new ROM can only be installed on rooted Xperia S devices. Do not attempt to install SuperVenom’s AOKP based ROM on any other smartphones as it won’t work. You should know that this build is currently in its alpha state and this means that it still packs some errors that should be fixed in future releases. Remember that this guide should be applied only by advanced Android users.
Before we can start installing the new ROM on your Xperia S you will need to read some guidelines and learn how to properly prepare your device for the firmware update. Here’s what you need to know:
- It is recommended for you to create backups of all the important files currently stored on your Sony Xperia S phone. Follow these links in order to learn how to properly backup the applications, sms texts and call logs information: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Videos, pictures, audio, pdf, text documents and all other files can be moved on the internal / external sdcard. Your device will be completely stripped of data and those two parts will remain unchanged.
- Sync Phone Contacts with your Google account. Follow this link HERE and learn how to do it correctly.
- Save the APN and MMS settings information. This will prove to be helpful in case you won’t be able to browse the internet after the installation of this custom rom.
- Enable the USB Debugging setting.
- Charge the Xperia S battery until it reaches at least 70% power level so that it won’t power off while we’re updating the firmware files.
- Read all the instructions listed in the tutorial guide and apply them only on Sony Xperia S smartphone. Do not attempt to install it on any other different Android devices.
- before installing this ROM, it is highly recommended that you perform a FULL BACKUP using CWM Recovery, ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox Lite.
That’s all the info you had to check and now you can move to the tutorial guide and learn how to install the new AOKP ROM Android 4.0.4 ICS on your device.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong and you brick your phone. You’re applying these changes on your own risk. This ROM update hasn’t been thoroughly tested and it has been said that it needs to be applied on devices with FXP kernel.
You need to have fastboot installed on your device that is running on FXP kernel. For the moment, this file hasn’t been retrieved and it should be made public in the next few days, when we will update this post.
How to update Sony Xperia S to Android 4.0.4 AOKP ROM Firmware:
- Download the ROM zip firmware files from here. Save it on your PC.
- Download Google Apps from here. Select the latest version of Gapps.
- Move both zip files downloaded at step 1 and 2 on your device’s internal sdcard.
- Flash the kernel using command prompt and entering this command ‘fastboot flash boot boot.img’.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC and then boot into recovery mode. When done, move to the next step.
- Put your phone into recovery mode and select ‘wipe data/factory reset’. Confirm its actions
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Navigate to teh Sony Xperia S AOKP custom ROM file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM has been flashed successfully you will need to install the Gapps file. Repeat the instructions listed above, at step 7, only that now you will select the ‘gapps.zip’ file to be flashed. Confirm the installation.
- When done, select ‘++Go Back++’ and then ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot to complete and configure your Google account. That’s it, now you’re device should run on AOKP Xperia S Alpha custom ROM firmware.
If you have any helpful tool or tips and tricks then please use the comments section to post them.