The Xperia T can now be updated with one of the most powerful custom ROMs available, as those of xda-developers (we have to thanks them for the present step by step guide) had developed the Jelly Bean AOSP custom ROM firmware. The update is being based on the latest CM10 ROM, so your Sony Xperia T will be installed with the same. For the proper installation guide and for learning how to prepare your smartphone for the same, check the bellow lines.
As you know the Xperia T had just been made available through limited markets (it soon be released worldwide) meaning that it has high end specs and impressive performances. But, for being able to use your smartphone on its full capabilities you should consider in flashing a Jelly Bean based custom ROM firmware into its system. That’s when the CM10 powered AOSP update will come in handy. Your Sony Xperia T will receive the latest features and capabilities, so that you can receive more power, speeds and an improved Android experience, though you will not be getting the classic Jelly Bean platform.
The AOSP ROM is not provided by Sony, so you are not installing an official update on your Xperia T. This means you have to previously root the device as a custom ROM works only on an unchained system. Therefore, the warranty of your phone will be voided. Don’t worry because you can easily restore the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM (you can previously back it up by using the CWM recovery tool) or by flashing an official platform provided by Sony and suitable with your T. Then, also for being able to apply the CM10 based firmware, you need to download and install (if you haven’t done this yet) a custom recovery image on your device.
Be aware as this operation is being considered risky, meaning that if you don’t follow and complete all the lines from this tutorial, you can end up in bricking your smartphone. Now, as soon as you have performed the above mentioned tasks you can apply the rest of the pre requisites. You are almost done with the preparation tasks, the list from below being the only thing presented before the proper steps. Don’t skip this part as it is the most relevant one.
- Backup all of the data that is being saved on your Xperia T (on its internal storage memory, not the one saved on the SD card).
- You can start by backing up the current ROM.
- Then, you can easily learn how to backup and restore the text messages, contacts and call logs.
- A computer or SD card can be used for saving files like images or videos.
- You can backup the internet settings too.
- After taking care of the backup you should make sure that you can use a Windows running computer.
- On the same and on your Xperia T you must deactivate all the security options. The update process of the Jelly Bean AOSP custom ROM firmware will be interrupted otherwise.
- On your phone head to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option (check the last option).
- If on your handset there is less than 60% power left, you will have to first charge the battery.
Now, you are almost ready for the proper tutorial. Just ensure that you are installing the CM10 based AOSP Android 4.1 ROM for the Sony Xperia T and not for similar versions of the same device as you can end up in bricking it. Also, be careful and follow my indications from below. If something isn’t working as presented, use the comments area and share the issues with us so that we can help you make it through.
How to Update Xperia T with CM10 based AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- You should start by downloading the update file from here.
- And the Google apps package (it is not included into the update file so you have to flash it separately) from here.
- You must save the files on your computer.
- Now, by using the USB cord connect the Xperia T with your PC.
- Select the downloaded tools and then copy the same to your phone’s SD card.
- When done, remove the USB cable and disconnect the device from the computer.
- Reboot the smartphone in recovery mode menu.
- From recovery use the menu that it’s displayed and first select the options: “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” (it’s important to complete the backup before performing the wipe).
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- From there now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- First, pick and flash the update file.
- Then, redo the step for installing the Google Apps package.
- When all the processes are over select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulation, the CM10 based AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM has been updated on your Sony Xperia T device. Test the new firmware and see if there are issues or bugs (feel free and report them). Also, stay close for further how to guides suitable for your handset and for many other ones and subscribe with us for receiving the latest Android related tips and tricks.