Thanks to those of xda-developers (who had made all this possible) you can now update your Sony Xperia U with the Samsung Galaxy S3 looks and features as the latest version of the Dynamic custom ROM firmware has been made available for your smartphone. Therefore, during the following step by step guide we will be checking in how to apply the Jelly Bean Dynamic OS update on the Xperia U, the tutorial being easy to complete as the installation procedure is not a complex one. But, more aspects about the same are being detailed below.
The present update isn’t an official firmware released by Sony for your Xperia U, so that makes the Dynamic software a custom ROM. Unfortunately there are no info about a possible Jelly Bean OTA upgrade therefore flashing this SGS3 based firmware might be the perfect solution for those who want to bring the Android 4.1 experience on their Xperia U smartphones. The ROM comes with important features and with the S3 style; once applied, you will notice that your phone has gained more speed, the appearances and the looks were improved, the battery life upgraded and much more.
You can take a more appropriate look over the Galaxy S3 based Jelly Bean Dynamic custom ROM enhancements by checking the image from below, where I have mentioned some of its most relevant features and capabilities. Remember that the update was developed and tested on the Sony Xperia U by those of xda, so we have them to thanks for the present guide. Now, let’s see what is with this ROM:
As mentioned in the introduction, the installation procedure is not a complex one, but only if your Xperia U has been previously prepared. If not, you must complete the next pre requisites. Anyway, you can skip the next section only if the tasks mentioned in the list were performed already. It’s extremely important to take care of the pre requisites, or else you will not be able to flash the Jelly Bean Dynamic ROM on your handset. The first to start with is the backup which must be first ensured. You have backup tips mentioned below, along with the rest of the preparation operations, so go and apply the same.
- You should begin by backing up the current ROM. In case the new one doesn’t work you can easily restore the stock or the previous platform. This can be performed only if a custom recovery image is being installed on your device.
- Then, you can backup the text messages by downloading SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- The call logs can also be saved by downloading suitable backup and restore tools from Google Play.
- If you need to backup the contacts, then you have to sync with your Gmail account.
- The Internet settings can be saved as well.
- A computer or SD card can be used for saving images or videos.
- Once the backup is ended, you should root the Xperia U and unlock its bootloader. Be aware as by performing these operations, the warranty will get void. You can restore it though but only by downgrading to the stock ROM (this is why you need to back it up first) or by updating with an official software released by Sony and suitable with your handset.
- Next, you need to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your phone. This tool will be used on the flashing and wiping (this is why you have to backup the data) processes.
- Make sure you can use a Windows running computer, your device and its USB cable.
- On the computer and Xperia U you must deactivate the Firewall, antivirus and security programs protection.
- The handset must be charged, or at least 60% power should be left in the system.
- On the smartphone enable the USB debugging option; go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Finally, do not apply this step by step guide for a similar device with the Sony Xperia U as the SGS3 based Jelly Bean Dynamic custom ROM firmware will work only for the mentioned smartphone; else you will risk in bricking your Android powered device.
How to Update Xperia U with SGS3 based Jelly Bean Dynamic Custom ROM
- On the first step you need to download the update file.
- Place the file on your computer.
- The download link is here.
- Then, you need to connect the U with the PC via its USB cable.
- Next, take (select and then copy-paste) the update file from the computer and place it to your phone SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn the phone off.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- The first thing you must perform from the recovery mode is the wipe; therefore select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the main menu (“+++go back+++”).
- And select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- You can now pick the update file and install the same.
- When the flash operation is ended, select “+++go back+++” to return and “reboot system now” to finish.
So, now you finally learned how to update your Sony Xperia U with the SGS3 Jelly Bean based Dynamic custom ROM features. You can start enjoying the Android 4.1 experience along with the Galaxy S3 looks and features on your own Xperia U. Share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area. Also, do tell us if something wrong happened while trying to flash the firmware.