The Sony Xperia Z can now be updated with a new version of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, as the 10.3.1A.1.10 firmware has just been rolled out. We are talking about an official software, so the mentioned update isn’t just another custom ROM. The 10.3.1A.1.10 system comes with the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.2 features, apps and capabilities for your Xperia Z, along with important bug fixes therefore, if you want the best for your smartphone, use this tutorial and learn how to manually apply the OS on your device.
The Android 4.2.2 JB 10.3.1A.1.10 firmware is also OTA available but in case you haven’t received the notification on your Xperia Z, a manual update method will be required. Also, if your device is rooted and installed with a custom ROM, like the recently released CM10.2 software, a manual procedure will be required as on unlocked devices the official updates can be flashed only manually. Furthermore, this guide will be more than helpful for those who are satisfied by the current firmware, or for those who need to restore the warranty on their handsets.
As you can see a manual update step by step guide can be extremely useful, so it might be a good idea to bookmark this page. Anyway, before starting the proper guide read all the lines from below for ensuring that your Xperia Z is properly prepared for the installation procedure that will follow. Remember that JB 4.2.2 10.3.1A.1.10 is the latest Android OS that has been released by Sony for your Xperia Z.
Because of the mentioned aspects here is what you need to know: this guide is compatible with both rooted and locked smartphones, though the root access will be revoked in case it has been previously gained; by flashing the 10.3.1A.1.10 Android 4.2.2 OS you will be able to apply the stock Jelly Bean features and apps on your Xperia Z along with the default and factory restrictions; the warranty will not get void and furthermore now you can restore the warranty in case it has been previously voided.
A backup though is being recommended because in some cases the data which is saved on the internal storage memory might get corrupted or even wiped out. Therefore in order to avoid the unpleasant situations, use backup and restore apps from Google Play and save your data and personal info. If your phone is rooted and install with CWM recovery you can use the same for making a Nandroid backup too.
After backing up the data make sure that a computer that has no security tools installed (like antivirus or antimalware – you can temporarily deactivate the security programs) is near you as you will have to use one. Also, your Xperia Z and its official USB cable will be used too. On your smartphone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option and then go to “Settings -> Xperia -> Connectivity -> USB Connection Mode” and enable the MSC Mode. Charge your device if the battery status indicates less than 60% power left and use this guide only if you own the Sony Xperia Z as the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 10.3.1A.1.10 has been rolled out only for the mentioned handset.
How to Update Xperia Z to Official Android 4.2.2 JB using 10.3.1A.1.10 Firmware
- The first thing to do is to check whether the OTA is available or not; so go to “Settings>> About phone>> Software update>> OK”. If the OTA is available apply the same, if not resume the steps from below.
- Download the 10.3.1A.1.10 firmware on your computer; use the link from here and the one from here – download both files on your computer.
- Furthermore, on your computer download the Flashtool app from here.
- Install Flashtool on your PC and also the Xperia Z drivers.
- Connect your Xperia Z with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Then place the downloaded files on the Flashtool folder (C:\flashtoolfirmwares).
- Open flashtool and click on the lightning icon followed by “flashmode”; finally select “ok”.
- Up next on the flashtool folder search for the .ftf firmwares and select the same.
- Click on the “flash” button.
- The update process will now begin.
- It will take a couple of minutes until the process stops; don’t press any button just wait until it’s done.
- In the end, unplug the USB cable and reboot yur phone.
- Then, go to “Settings -> About phone -> Android & Baseband version” and check whether the JB 4.2.2 10.3.1A.1.10 firmware has been applied or not.
Good job, you have successfully completed the step by step guide so now your Sony Xperia Z is running on latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.1A.1.10 software. Test the new ROM and share the results with us. Is your handset performing faster, or do you notice any changes or improvements at all? Stay close as we will bring more Android related tips, tricks and tutorials soon.