If you have updated your Sony Xperia Z to leaked official Android 4.2.2 JB OS but you are not satisfied by the performances of the stock firmware, then I recommend you to try a custom ROM software. And the latest update developed for your Xperia Z is the CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar firmware which comes with great features and capabilities that will power up, customize and optimize the performances and the JB 4.2.2 experience that is running on your smartphone. The ROM is stable and fast so if you want to test the same, complete the following lines.
This is the 2.13b build of Avatar custom ROM, so you will be flashing the latest version of the firmware on your Xperia Z. Furthermore, the Avatar ROM is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and it is powered by the CM10.1 and MIUI platforms which means that important and numerous features will be installed on your handset. Actually, by applying the Avatar software you will be able to improve the speeds of your phone, upgrade the battery life, optimize the internal system and customize the looks as new themes, appearances and more visual effects will be installed.
For those who aren’t used with these types of operations, here is what you need to know before heading to the proper flashing procedure:
- The Avatar ROM is a custom firmware that’s only based on stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS.
- Therefore, this is not an official update rolled out for your Sony Xperia Z.
- Avatar software is developed and offered by third party devs, the firmware being an aftermarket distribution of the Android system.
- That’s why the ROM is coming with extra features, apps and looks and not with the default Android OS.
- The installation procedure of the Avatar platform will be risky and complicated – there are pre requisites to complete – so do read all the lines from this step by step guide; else you might end up in bricking your device.
As mentioned above, you first have to prepare your handset or else you won’t be able to safely apply the CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar custom ROM. So, start by rooting your Xperia Z. Then, install a custom recovery image on your phone – you can use CWM recovery. The recovery image can be flashed only on a rooted system, so gain root access first. The root operation must be completed because the firmware will have to use some inbuilt programs from your phone and the access can be granted only by unchaining the internal system.
Be careful when completing the mentioned procedures, because the warranty will get void. For the future, if you will need the warranty back, you will have to downgrade the Xperia Z to stock Android OS, to update with an official firmware, or to apply a un-root process.
Also, as you will see below, for being able to properly flash the JB 4.2.2 Avatar software on your Sony Xperia Z, you will have to previously wipe the system of your smartphone and by doing that we understand: all of your personal info, accounts, market apps, contacts list and so on will be erased. Therefore, before going any further, use backup and restore apps and complete a full backup – also do a Nandroid backup as this is the only way in which you can store / restore the stock OS.
Don’t forget that you need to have access to a computer, to your device and to its USB cord. It is indicated to uninstall the antivirus programs that are running on both devices (PC and smartphone); also it is recommended to charge your handset before starting the flashing operation. Then, you should enable the USB debugging option on your Xperia Z, or else you might have problems when trying to connect your device with the computer.
As mentioned several times now, the CM10.1 and MIUI powered Avatar custom ROM has been developed and offered by third party devs. That’s why you should complete this guide only if you own the Sony Xperia Z device as the tutorial is compatible only with this handset.
How to Update Xperia Z with CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- You need to get the Avatar ROM on your computer.
- Download the update from here.
- Then, you need to get the Google Apps package (use the link from here) as it is not included in the update file.
- Don’t unzip the files.
- Plug in the USB cable and connect your handset with the computer.
- Copy-paste the downloaded files from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Then, unplug the USB cable and turn off your device.
- Boot your Xperia Z in recovery mode: press Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously.
- From recovery wipe the system: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return and select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the Avatar ROM file from the SD card and start the update operation.
- Then, return to recovery and this time select the Google Apps package (select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card” once more).
- Flash the Google apps and in the end choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- You are done.
If you had hard time in understanding the above explained steps, or if you can’t install the Avatar JB 4.2.2 custom ROM firmware on your Sony Xperia Z, use the comments section, and share the issues with us; of course we will try to resolve the issues as soon as possible.