As you know a leaked version of the upcoming OTA Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update has been spotted running on the Sony Xperia Z, so now everyone is hardly expecting for the official release. Anyhow, if you just can’t wait, then, you can anytime use this tutorial, as during the following lines I will show you how to manually update your Xperia Z to leaked Android 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.407 firmware. Remember that the ROM has been leaked by those of xda-developers (by the DooMLoRD member) so we have to thanks them for the present step by step guide.
Therefore, if you want to test the latest Android OS that’s prepared by Sony for your Xperia Z, follow and complete the next steps. Do take note that we will be checking on how to manually flash the leaked 10.3.A.0.407 JB 4.2.2 software, which means that you cannot OTA apply the firmware on your smartphone. Also, do note that this is not a custom ROM, it is a beta version of the official update that will soon be released. So, we are somewhere in the middle between an unofficial variant of the Android 4.2.2 platform and the upcoming OTA launch.
Considering the up mentioned lines, here is what you need to know about the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.407 OS: the update hasn’t been yet released by Sony for the Xperia Z; this is the leaked version of the firmware which means that there are some minor bugs, issues and things that aren’t working properly included on the system; even though we are dealing with an “official” software, the installation procedure of the same will be quite difficult, so be careful in what you do and don’t apply anything without consulting the tutorial; finally, the update is compatible only with the Xperia Z model number C6602 / 03.
So, if you want to test the leaked JB 4.2.2 OS on your Sony Xperia Z, then start the update process by completing the pre requisites. As already mentioned, consider this guide complex and risky as this is not the official release of the Android platform and the flashing operation will be difficult to apply. Anyhow, first of all prepare your device for the update procedure that will follow.
- Root your Xperia Z and install CWM recovery into its system.
- This is a beta OS, so the root is being required; also CWM recovery will be used on the flashing operation, so don’t skip the above step.
- The warranty of your device will get void – when gaining root access – so be careful; if something bad happens you will be by yourselves.
- Don’t worry you will restore the warranty when you will apply the OTA firmware.
- You will have to use a computer, your phone and its USB cable.
- On the computer ADB / Android SDK must be installed; learn how to install ADB on Windows or how to apply Android SKD on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Also, I recommend you to backup the Xperia Z data because a wipe will be required. So, that means you can lose all of your personal stuffs and data. That’s why you need to use suitable backup and restore apps for saving anything you might need afterwards.
- Now, on your computer (the one that will be used) and on your smartphone you should uninstall the antivirus and any other security program or setting – these tools might interfere with the update operation.
- Your phone must have at least 60% power left; else you will risk in bricking your phone – if it will get turned off in the middle of the flashing procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” – else you won’t be able to properly connect your phone with the PC.
- Your Sony Xperia Z must be on 253/.307 build; also remember that this guide is compatible only with the C6602 / 03 version of the Xperia Z (apply the leaked Jelly Bean 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.407 firmware only on the mentioned device, else you can end up in bricking your smartphone).
How to Update Xperia Z to Leaked Jelly Bean 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.407 Official Firmware
- Download the update file by using this link (alternate link – here).
- Unzip the file on your computer.
- Then, on your computer fastboot must be downloaded (you can get it from here); unzip fastboot and then place the boot.img file (the update file) on the same folder with flastboot.
- Connect the Xperia Z with the computer and copy the ROM files from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset and reboot it into fastboot mode.
- For fastboot mode press and hold Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Connect your phone with the computer.
- On the PC open command prompt window with Administrator rights (right click on the fastboot folder and choose open command prompt here).
- In cmd enter the following: “cd C:\Fastboot”; “C:\fastboot flash boot boot.img”; “fastboot -i 0x0fce flash boot boot.img”.
- The “finished / okay” message will then be displayed.
- Disconnect the Xperia Z from the computer and turn off your smartphone.
- Now, you need to reboot into recovery mode.
- For recovery mode press and hold Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time, for a few seconds.
- From recovery the first thing to do is the wipe; you need to select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then, you need to return to the main menu of recovery.
- Up next, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and install the same on your device.
- In the end, you just have to select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, you have updated your Sony Xperia Z to leaked Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.A.0.407 firmware. Remember that this is not the official software, it is only the beta version of the same. So there might be some bugs included; don’t worry as the same will be resolved as soon as the official OTA will be rolled out. So, what do you think about the new firmware, are you satisfied by its features and performances? Do share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments field from below.