Do you want the best features, apps and capabilities for your Xperia ZL? Or do you want to customize, optimize, upgrade the battery life, or bump the speeds on your handset through a powerful custom ROM firmware? If so, then you should know that now CM10.2 software is being available for your Sony Xperia ZL. And if you want to update your smartphone with the same, then you will have to use the guidelines from below as we will be checking on how to manually install the Android 4.3 based CM10.2 ROM on your Xperia ZL device.
CM10.2 is a custom version of the Android software that comes with Jelly Bean 4.3 installed above all. Of course since we are talking about a custom ROM, the firmware will be coming with its own looks and with extra features and tools. These features and tools can be used for improving the performances of your Xperia ZL as you will have direct access to the internal system of your smartphone. Cyanogen Mod is one of the most popular update based on the Android system, most of the other platforms being based on the CM firmware.
If you want to test the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean CM10.2 release, then you need to know that the present custom ROM (like any other custom software) can be updated only if your Sony Xperia ZL is rooted and installed with a custom recovery image. The root access must be granted because the ROM must access some internal files and in built programs, while the custom recovery is being required because the stock recovery can’t be used when dealing with unofficial updates. For the custom recovery I recommend you CWM or TWRP recovery.
The warranty of your Xperia ZL will get voided because the root and update operations aren’t official so the same have nothing to do with Sony or Google. So, try not to mess things up and always use suitable step by step guides – don’t perform things by yourselves because you can end up in damaging or even bricking your Android based devices. For the record, the warranty can be restored if you downgrade your Xperia ZL to stock Android OS, or if you update your handset to an official release of the Jelly Bean ROM. Be aware as on rooted handsets the official updates can be installed only manually.
Another thing to complete before starting the proper update operation is a backup. The backup is being recommended because a wipe will be required. Without wiping the system, you will not be able to properly use Android 4.3 CM10.2 on your Sony Xperia ZL. So, save all of your data and personal saves that might be important for you. Consider in making a Nandroid backup too for saving the current ROM – you can do it through CWM recovery.
Besides that, you still have to ensure that the essential pre requisites are being checked out. These preparation things are saying that: you need to use a computer, your phone and its USB cable – all that will be used on the flashing process; your phone must have more than 60% power left or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation process – it also might get bricked out in that case; the USB debugging option must be checked on your handset – if not go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the same option; on the computer that will be used on the flashing operation there shouldn’t be running any antivirus or antimalware programs – temporarily deactivate the security protection.
Remember that each version of CM10.2 is compatible only with one Android device only. So, the present one and the present tutorial can be used only for updating the Xperia ZL to custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Using the steps from below for a similar or different handset might brick your device.
How to Update Xperia ZL to Android 4.3 JB with CM10.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file on your computer; place the file on desktop and don’t unzip the package.
- The download link is here.
- Optional get the Google Apps package because the same is not included on the CM10.2 platform.
- The download link for Google Apps is here.
- Also, save the file on desktop without unzipping.
- Then, connect your Xperia ZL with the computer.
- Establish the connection via an official USB cable.
- Up next, copy-paste all the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off your handset because recovery mode must be booted.
- So, enter the Xperia ZL to recovery mode.
- Use the recovery menu for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu.
- From there select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- First pick the update file and flash it.
- Then, repeat the same procedure for installing the Google Apps package.
- Finally, in the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If there are problems, such as booting loop, enter recovery mode once more, only this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Perfect, you are done. That was all for today; your Sony Xperia ZL is now running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as the CM10.2 custom ROM firmware has been successfully installed. You should test the software as this is only an early release of the same. If possible, return here and use the comments area from below for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users who might want to use our step by step guide.