T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 has received a new Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update and now you can use this tutorial to learn how to manually install it. This is a guide destined for users that are still waiting for T-Mobile to launch the new firmware update OTA for their Galaxy S5 devices.
This new Android 4.4.2 G900TUVU1BNG3 firmware brings some network improvements that are enabling the VoLTE for making voice calls over T-Mobile’s LTE network. There are no other major changes reported in this release. Before starting the installation you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this tutorial only for the T-Mobile variant of Samsung Galaxy S5 device.
– your device needs to have the model number set to SM – G900T.
– if the model number doesn’t correspond with this one, then your Galaxy S5 is a different model and you need to close this guide.
- do not try to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this article.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here.
– without these drivers you won’t be able to connect your computer with Odin, the app that you will use to push the G900TUVU1BNG3 KitKat 4.4.2 build to your TMO Galaxy S5 device.
- make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on your device.
– here‘s a guide that tells you how to enable this for Android phones, use it in case you cannot find the Developer Options menu.
- disable Samsung KIES and any antivirus app from running on your computer.
- if your phone is rooted, then the update installation will revoke root access.
– any custom Recovery that might be installed on your phone will be replaced with the Stock Recovery.
- in case your Galaxy S5 T-Mobile is running a custom ROM, then you need to know that the update will remove the entire system partition.
– the internal and external storage will not be wiped.
– if you install the new update over a custom ROM, then you need to know that you will have to use the info at the end of this article and apply the ‘factory reset’.
- in case you wish to save data from installed apps then you can use Helium for Android.
– sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the phone from switching off during update.
- use this post only if you’re an advanced user, do not blame us in case you end up bricking your phone.
- read the entire guide, don’t skip any steps and you should be fine.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can get to the interesting part of this post and learn how to flash an official KitKat firmware update for your smartphone.
How to manually install Android 4.4.2 G900TUVU1BNG3 Update for T-Mobile Galaxy S5:
- Download the G900TUVU1BNG3 zip file from here.
– create an account at SamMobile in order to download files from their servers.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and save them on your PC.
– you should get a G900TVUVU1BNG 3 file with the “tar.md5″ extension.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of the zip and save them on your PC.
- Switch off your Galaxy S5 T-Mobile now.
- Boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
- Open Odin3 v3.09 exe on your PC.
- Next, connect your TMO Galaxy S5 with your PC using the USB data cable.
– wait until ODIN detects the phone, after that you can continue with the next step.
– if the device isn’t detected, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Return to Odin’s main window and click the ‘AP’ button option.
- Next, search your computer for the G900TUVU1BNG3 tar.md5 file. Load it in Odin.
– make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ option is not listed.
– don’t edit any other default Odin settings.
- When you’re ready you should simply hit the ‘START’ button for ODIN to begin installing the Android 4.4.2 Update on your T-Mobile Galaxy S5.
– the installation might take several minutes before it completes, don’t press any buttons until then.
- After the update is complete you will see ODIN showing the ‘PASS’ alert and your phone will restart.
- Disconnect the phone from PC when the home screen of your new ROM appears.
- Log into your device’s home screen and start testing all the new features added by Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
If the installation was successful you can close this tutorial.
If you’ve encountered any problems or you cannot complete the installation, then you should read the extra instructions below.
In case Odin freezes or it displays the ‘FAIL’ alert, then you will have to repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure to re-read the guidelines above and that your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 is meeting all requirements.
Use the comments field if you need more help.
If Odin says that the update was completed, but your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 gets stuck at the boot animation for more than 20 minutes, or it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to apply a ‘factory reset’.
Also, note that the ‘factory reset’ from Recovery Mode is required for devices that were previously running any custom ROM. Here’s how to do it:
- switch off the phone now.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- restart your device in normal mode now.
That’s it, these were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your phone to Android 4.4.2 KitKat G900TUVU1BNG3.