Avatar ROM is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE International variant. It is based on the latest Android 4.3 Nightly and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully update your phone with it. Note that this is a custom ROM and not an official update by Samsung.
If you want to learn more about Avatar ROM then you should take a look at the developer’s web page here. This custom ROM borrows features and functions from Android 4.3 AOSP and other custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, AOKP etc. Also, it provides some of it very own tools that you can use in order to improve the overall performance and looks of your device.
For this new ROM to install at your first attempt, read the guidelines below:
- This guide works only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9305. This is the International model and you shouldn’t attempt to use this post with any other smartphone or tablet, as you will end up bricking those devices.
- The phone that you’re about to update has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image.
- CWM or TWRP Recovery are working with this post.
- In the how-to part of this article, you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step and you need to apply it in order to make sure that you clean install the new ROM.
- Factory Reset removes data from system partition, but not from internal / external SDcard.
- Backup data from installed applications using the following for Android: Titanium Backup (here) / Helium (here).
- If you plan on saving SMS text messages, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these applications.
- If you don’t want to lose any saved phone numbers or other contacts data, then you should sync them with your Gmail account.
– those of you who don’t know how to sync Contacts info should use the info listed here.
- IMPORTANT: Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is already installed on your device.
– this sets a restore point that you can use in case the new Avatar custom ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– this step can be found in the tutorial part of this guide as well, so you shouldn’t be able to skip this part.
- Read all the info listed and don’t skip any steps.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
– in case USB Debugging doesn’t appear in the Settings menu, then you will need to go to About Phone, scroll down to Build Number and tap on this section seven times. It will enable Developer Options, then proceed and enable USB Debugging option.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you lose any data files nor in case you brick your phone.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it completely switches off. If the device does power off while you’re flashing the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- For any other questions or in case you lose any data files in the process, then you should ask for more help in comments. We will try to come up with a solution for any problems you might encounter in the process.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom ROM on your device.
How to flash Avatar Android 4.3 Nightly custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305:
- Download the Avatar JB nightly ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, then move both files to your Galaxy S3 internal storage.
– after the files are moved, disconnect the device from PC.
– don’t unzip the downloaded files.
- Boot your device in custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP Recovery are supported by this tutorial.
– if you don’t know how to boot Recovery Mode for Galaxy S3, then you should use the info listed here.
- First you need to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM.
– CWM: use the ‘backup and restore’ option, confirm the backup file and save it on your device’s internal or external storage.
– TWRP: press the “backup” button, then name the backup file and swipe to confirm backup.
> after the process is complete you can continue to the next step.
- Now you need to Factory Reset your Galaxy S3 I9305,
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm this process.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe the blue button at the bottom of the screen to confirm Factory Reset.
> in case you skip this step, then you should know that your device might not boot in normal mode correctly and you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Next, flash the Avatar custom ROM on your SGS3:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip. Confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM file. Swipe to confirm installation.
> do not press any buttons while flashing the new ROM.
- When Avatar custom ROM is flashed successfully, then you should repeat step 7. Now flash the Gapps zip as well.
- After you’ve managed to successfully install both zip files, return to the main custom Recovery screen and reboot your phone now.
– wait for your device to boot in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, don’t press any buttons until it boots in normal mode.
– if the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to load all files, it enters into a boot loop or it doesn’t go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- If all files were installed and the home screen of Avatar Nightly Android 4.3 ROM appears, enter your Google Account details. Take complete control over your device and start customizing and testing the new ROM.
I hope that you managed to complete the installation successfully without problems. For other questions, use the comments field below.