The official SlimKAT 4.4.4 Weekly custom ROM builds for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 are now live for download. Use this post in order to learn how to successfully install the new ROM on your smartphone without bricking its firmware.
This build of SlimKAT 4.4.4 is a weekly release and it is not the most stable one, but it still offers a superior Android 4.4.4 KitKat experience when compared to Samsung’s TouchWiz interface. Also, the Galaxy S2 I9100 doesn’t support Android 4.4 stock ROM updates and that’s why numerous users are installing these types of custom ROMs. Learn more about SlimKat ROM here.
Before starting the installation you should read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
– do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- the Galaxy S2 that you’re about to update using a custom ROM has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this post you should find the NANDROID ROM Backup and the Factor Reset steps, don’t skip them.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup will set a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– ‘factory reset’ has to be applied in order to get rid of all the files that were installed previously by the ROM that’s currently running on your device.
– the ‘factory reset’ process won’t wipe any data from internal nor external storage.
- if you want to save data from installed apps or text messages, then you can use the Helium app for Android.
– Contacts data can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check your phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from powering down during installation.
- use this post only if you are an advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you end up losing any data in the process nor in case you brick your device.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be fine and the new custom ROM will be installed on your device.
Since you’ve read all off the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully install a brand new KitKat ROM for your smartphone.
How to flash SlimKAT 4.4.4 Weekly ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the latest Slim 4.4.4 build 8.20 ROM here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect the phone to your PC and move both zip files on to its internal storage space.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
– do not unzip the files.
– if you’ve used your phone to download the files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the Galaxy S2 now.
- Next, boot the phone in Custom Recovery Mode.
– boot it by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power simultaneously.
– release the buttons when the screen flickers.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– for CWM select ‘backup and restore’, while for TWRP you have to select ‘Backup’.
– set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and for TWRP you should tap on ‘Wipe’.
– confirm this process.
- Now you can begin the SlimKat 4.4.4 Weekly ROM for your Galaxy S2:
– for CWM select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
– for TWRP press on Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation process.
- After the ROM is installed you should flash the Slim Gapps zip, too. Confirm the process and wait until all the files are installed.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode after the ROM and Gapps zip is installed on your device.
– note that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take. If the process fails, then you should ask for extra help in comments.