If you want to use the latest Android OS on your OnePlus 3T, then you should install the new Android 7.0 Nougat OTA firmware on your smartphone. Based on Android 7.0, the OxygenOS 4.0.0 software is therefore officially available for the OnePlus 3T. However, if you haven’t received your Android notification until now, maybe you will want to download the OTA and install the software manually. If so, you have all the details needed explained during the following guidelines.
OxygenOS 4.0.0 is the latest update offered by OnePlus for the 3T. The firmware is based on Android 7.0 Nougat and is fully stable. The ROM is also pre loaded with certain bug fixes, stability improvements and security patches which means that you can use the Nougat system smoothly right on your own smartphone. And since we are talking about an official Android update you have nothing to worry about: you don’t have to use risky tools or third party apps and you won’t lose your phone’s warranty by completing the steps from this tutorial.
You can manually install the OTA release only if on your OnePlus 3T the stock OxygenOS 3.5.3 software is already running. Moreover, root access shouldn’t be ensured as you cannot flash OTAs on unlocked Android systems, nor you can receive further Android notifications. Other than that, the steps from below can be anytime followed and applied.
By manually installing the OxygenOS 4.0.0 software you can address software related problems such as boot loops, lags, hangs, bugs, screen freeze, battery drain, alerts or total blackouts. So, from this perspective this tutorial can be also used as a manual troubleshoot solution.
Usually, when flashing an OTA your data remains safe and secured. Now, you will have to manually install the very same Android 7.0 Nougat system, situation in which a wipe might be required (also, your data might get corrupted during the OxygenOS 4.0.0 installation process). So, because you might risk in losing important files, before doing anything else you should backup your OnePlus 3T. This operation can be easily handled as you can sync your files with your Google Account, you can use built-in cloud storage platforms or you can just download and use backup and restore (preferable already tested) apps from Google Play.
As you will see, there are two ways in which you can install the OTA package on your OnePlus 3T. For the second method that is explained during this guide you will need to have access to a computer where the Android SDK toolkit must be installed – so, learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux. Moreover, your phone’s USB drivers must be flashed on this computer.
Regardless the installation process you choose, before resuming the lines from down below you should first charge your smartphone – or just make sure that there is enough power left: more than 50%. Don’t skip the charging process if it’s required as you can end up in soft bricking your phone – that might happen if your 3T will get switched off during the Android 7.0 Nougat OTA operation.
On your phone you also have to become a developer as afterwards you need to check the USB Debugging option which is located under “menu – settings – developer options”. So, go to Menu, tap on Settings and access About Phone; from there tap repeatedly on Built Number until you see the ‘you are a developer’ prompt displayed on your handset.
Make sure you use the update steps from below only if you own the OnePlus 3T. The OTA OxygenOS 4.0.0 Android 7.0 Nougat firmware is compatible only with the already mentioned smartphone so try not to mess things up.
Download and Install official Android 7.0 Nougat OTA OxygenOS 4.0.0 for OnePlus 3T
- Download the OTA package for your OnePlus 3T from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Connect your phone with your PC via USB cable and transfer the OTA on your device.
- Then, remove the USB connection – the computer will no longer be used.
- Power of your handset; wait while the shut down operation is completed.
- When done, reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 3T.
- From recovery select “Apply OTA from SD card”.
- From this point follow on-screen prompts and resume the installation process.
- When done, go back to main menu of recovery and select “Reboot system now”.
- Make sure that on your computer the Android SDK toolkit and your OnePlus 3T drivers are installed.
- Download the OxygenOS 4.0.0 OTA file on your computer – use the link from above.
- Rename the OTA package as “ota.zip”.
- When done, power on your device and connect it with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- On your computer access the folder where you placed the OTA file.
- From there open a cmd window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.
- In the cmd window enter: “adb reboot recovery”.
- Recovery mode will be displayed on your Android device.
- From recovery pick “Install from USB”.
- Next, in the cmd window enter: “adb sideload ota.zip”.
- The update will be now automatically installed on your OnePlus 3T.
- When done, reboot your smartphone into Android 7.0 Nougat OS.
If after completing the steps from above your phone will be issued with a boot loop follow: enter recovery mode and choose to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache, operations which can be completed by choosing “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
There you have it. The official Android 7.0 Nougat OxyegnOS 4.0.0 will be now running on your OnePlus 3T. Enjoy and share how things worked for you by using the comments field from down below.