Do you know what recovery mode is? If you need to access this environment on your Huawei P10 but you need further details first, don’t hesitate and read all the lines from this tutorial. Among general info we will discuss about advantages, risks and pre-requisites everything related with the recovery mode and everything compatible with the Huawei P10 – of course, in the end we will be checking the methods that can be applied for easily reaching and using the recovery mode menu.
So, what is recovery mode? It’s a hidden by default mode that runs independently from the Android Mode. On your Huawei P10 you can access the recovery mode for performing maintenance and restoration processes. Additionally, you can initiate a backup, you can adb sideload a new OTA or you can wipe everything by completing a hard reset and by clearing app data cache. And these are the main operations that can be applied through the stock recovery image.
If a custom software runs instead you will be able to extend your access towards the Android system. So, you can then choose to tweak your Huawei P10, everything being possible through the new custom recovery image – such as TWRP or CWM recovery. In that respect, you will be able to gain root access, install root-only apps, add features that cannot be found on the stock Android OS, flash .zip files, install custom ROMs, MODs and kernels, remove bloatware, make Nandroid backups and so much more.
Both stock and custom recovery images can be entered in the same way on the Huawei P10 – and in that matter the steps from below will detail the reboot sequence. Yes, a reboot sequence must be applied as recovery mode cannot be accessed by using built-in settings.
Accessing recovery is official – the mode is featured by default within the Android core system. Because of that you won’t lose your P10 warranty while completing the steps from this guide and also thanks to the same aspect you won’t have to use any third party app or software for going into recovery mode.
Additionally, the steps explained below can be used for going to recovery even if your Huawei P10 was tweaked already – for example, this guide can still be helpful even if your smartphone is running on a rooted system, if a custom ROM firmware is running, if an unlocked bootloader was ensured and so on.
A backup is the only thing that should be completed first. Don’t get me wrong, you won’t lose anything while trying to enter recovery mode. But, your data might get corrupted or wiped out if you plan to tweak your Huawei P10 through the recovery mode menu. You can easily save your personal data, info, accounts and files by using cloud storage platforms or by syncing everything that wasn’t there when you first used your phone with your Google account. And, of course, if possible, you should also initiate a Nandroid backup for securing the Android OS that runs on your handset.
Of course, there should be enough power left on your phone – the actual reboot sequence can be completed even if the power left is low, but if you plan to apply something from recovery, you should first charge your Huawei P10 if the power is lower than 50% – that’s a precaution measure as your device can get soft bricked if its system gets turned off in the middle of running operations.
How to Enter Recovery Mode on Huawei P10
Enter recovery using hardware keys
- Power off your Huawei P10 – press and hold the Power key for a few moments or press the Power button once and then pick “power off”.
- Also, wait a few moments until this power off process is completed.
- Now, press Volume up and Power buttons together for a few moments.
- When you notice the Huawei Logo displayed on your P10 release both keys.
- That’s it; the recovery mode menu should be now available.
- There, use Volume rocked keys for scrolling up and down and the Power button to select your option.
- You can go back to Android mode by choosing “reboot system now”.
Enter recovery using adb command
This is the manual way in which recovery mode can be accessed on the Huawei P10. You can complete this solution only if you first apply the following pre-requisites:
- A computer, notebook or a similar device can be used.
- Your Huawei P10 and your phone’s USB cable must be used too.
- On this computer install the Android SDK toolkit: if you’re using Windows go to this tutorial and if you use MAC OS X / Linux go to this step by step guide instead.
- On your computer you should also install the Huawei P10 drivers.
- On your smartphone you have to check the USB Debugging option which can be accessed through ‘menu – > settings – > developer options’.
- If Developer Options isn’t displayed first go to About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
Those are the pre-requisites; now follow the steps from below:
- Open your computer and power on your smartphone.
- Then, connect your phone with your PC – establish this connection through your phone’s USB cable.
- On your computer navigate towards the Android SDK folder.
- In that folder open a command prompt window; you can do so by: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and right-click on any blank space; then select ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In the recently opened command prompt window type: adb reboot recovery.
- That should be all; the recovery mode menu should be displayed on your Huawei P10.
Enter recovery using dedicated app
A third party app can be used if your Huawei P10 device is rooted. You can choose from different tools available for free on Google Play. An example is the Quick Boot software. You can try this tool without problems; everything you need to do is to download, install and run the app on your phone. Then, follow on-screen prompts and access the desired mode.
That’s how recovery mode can be entered and also used on the Huawei P10. If you still have questions or if something isn’t working as expected, don’t hesitate and share your problems and your own experience with our team, and with the other users who are about to use this tutorial. You can easily get in touch with us by filling out the comments form from down below. Enjoy and stay close for further similar tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.