A buggy Android experience is really annoying especially when it happens on a high-end smartphone such as the Samsung Galaxy S8+. However, by default the stock Android firmware that runs on this device is stable and smooth, so if issues occur you need to find the right troubleshooting solutions. Well, in that respect you should check all the guidelines explained below: there we will review the best ways in which you can choose to manually fix a software bricked Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
Software related issues are referring to problems that are messing up the overall Android core system. So, we are not discussing about a hardware problem, in which case you should take your Galaxy S8+ and go back to service – do note that if you somehow tweaked your device, chances are you cannot reclaim the warranty. Anyhow, at this point it should be clear for you that by using this step by step guide you can address only problems that are within the Android platform.
These problems are general ones and can be caused by different reasons. You can experience issues after installing a new update, after trying to complete a certain tweaking process, after installing a new app from Google Play and so on. These malfunctions might be minor issues or sever problems as we can discuss about lags, hangs, screen freeze, battery drain, heating situations, signal strength bugs, boot loops and even about a total blackout.
Well, such problems can be successfully addressed on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus by using the troubleshooting solutions explained in this tutorial. As you will see, usually the issues are caused by a blocked program that is still running in the background, by a malicious app, by inappropriate tools or by a malware. So, the goal is to isolate the problem, to remove it or to restore your smartphone back to its default state when everything else is in vain.
Therefore, after getting started, you need to take a few precautions. And the first thing to do is a general backup in order to secure your personal data, info, accounts and files – such packages can get wiped out during the steps from below, so you have to save everything that might be still required afterwards (such as contacts, call logs, texts, images, EFS folder, audio files, market apps, IMEI / NVRAM data, calendar info, internet settings, saved passwords and so on). On your Samsung Galaxy S8+ you can already use backup and restore apps pre-loaded within the Android OS, or you can choose to sync your files with your Google Account; another way in which you can complete this process is by using dedicated apps from Google Play (if you do that, make sure you choose only already tested platforms).
You need to make sure that there is enough battery power left on your Galaxy S8 Plus. If you can verify the power level, plug in the charger if there is less than 50% power left. If you cannot do that, plug in the charger anyway – otherwise you can end up in experiencing further issues so you will manage just to mess things even worst.
Do note that all the troubleshooting steps from below are describing official procedures. Samsung KNOX won’t get tripped and you won’t have to use third party apps or other risky programs. Thus, from this perspective you have nothing to worry about.
How to Fix soft-bricked Samsung Galaxy S8+
Enter Android Safe Mode
From safe mode you can remove the problem without hassle, especially if the malfunction is caused by a third party app or process. In safe mode you can isolate the issue as there, by default, third party apps are disabled. Thus, as a general idea, if in safe mode everything runs as expected, it means that your problems are related with an app or a tool that wasn’t there from day one. Now, here is how you can successfully access safe mode on your Galaxy S8+:
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Press and hold the Power key.
- Keep holding this button until the Samsung logo is displayed.
- Then, release the Power button and start holding down the Volume Down hey.
- Press Volume Down until the boot process is completed.
- That should be all; safe mode should be now accessed on your device.
Make a Hard Reset
Through a hard reset you can partially wipe your Galaxy S8+ as you can erase everything that wasn’t there from day one. Shortly, along with your personal files you can also remove malware, inappropriate tools, third party apps and similar other files that might cause general malfunctions. Of course, before completing the hard reset you need to make a proper backup operation. The best however is that this particular troubleshooting solution should fix all the problems that you are currently experiencing on your phone. Anyway, here is how you can complete the hard reset on the Galaxy S8 Plus:
- First, power off your smartphone.
- Then, reboot recovery mode on your Android device: press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Bixby buttons until the recovery mode menu is displayed.
- In recovery use Volume rocker keys for scrolling up and down and the Power button to select.
- Complete the hard reset by choosing ‘wipe data factory reset’.
- When done, from main menu of recovery pick ‘reboot system now’.
- That’s all.
Clear app data cache
If after applying the hard reset you end up in experiencing a boot loop, or a similar system glitch you should return to recovery in order to clear app data cache. And that can be performed by following:
- Go to recovery mode again, as already explained.
- From recovery choose ‘wipe cache partition’.
- Also pick ‘advanced’ and then choose ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
Reinstall the stock / official Android firmware
With this process you will manage to fully restore your phone back to default state – everything will be reset which means that if tweaks were applied now you will revoke the custom access. Shortly, root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked, the stock recovery image reinstalled and bloatware and factory restrictions re-flashed.
However, since a refresh will be ensured you should get rid of all the software related problems that were causing malfunctions on your Samsung Galaxy S8+.
Anyway, a computer will be required and your smartphone and its USB cable must be near you too. On your phone you have to enable Developer Options by tapping repeatedly on Built Number (under Menu - > Settings - > About Phone) – after 7 or 10 taps you will get the ‘you are a developer’ message. Next, on your device access Menu - > Settings - > Developer Options and from there check the USB Debugging feature. One last thing: on your computer, first of all, install the Galaxy S8 Plus drivers – you can use Samsung KIES if you don’t know from where to get the right drivers.
- Start by downloading Odin on your computer – you can get the flashing program from here.
- Run the executable file and install Odin on your PC.
- Download the full firmware package for your Galaxy S8+ (you can download this file from any source you prefer).
- Save the software file on desktop.
- Run Odin on your computer and in the meantime access download mode on your Android device.
- Note: for download mode follow – first, power off your device; then press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Bixby buttons for a short while.
- Connect your device with your computer via USB cable – once you do so on Odin the ‘added’ message will show up and the ID:COM field will be turned yellow or blue (if you are not receiving this, try to reinstall the drivers before repeating these steps).
- On Odin click on the AP button and then load the Android firmware file from desktop.
- Don’t check the Re Partition and the Auto Reboot options and click on Start when you are ready.
- Just wait while the OS is installed – finally, the ‘pass’ message will show up and the ID:COM field will be turned green.
- Remove the USB cord, close Odin and reboot your Galaxy S8+.
- That’s all.
So, that’s how you can try to manually fix a software-bricked Samsung Galaxy S8+. The troubleshooting solutions from above should guide you through the right fixing methods so hopefully, now you can use your smartphone without experiencing any other problems. However, if you are still struggling to fix a certain issue, don’t hesitate and contact us – try to offer as many details as possible as based on your explanations we will then try to assist you as soon as possible (you can easily contact our team through the comments field from below).