The new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA Update for Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet has been pushed out and you can use this tutorial below if you want to learn how to manually install it. Note that this guide has to be applied by advanced users only.
The new LRX22G firmware file of Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is a small update and it adds only bug fixes and some stability improvements for the overall OS. You should always keep your tablet updated with the latest firmware build, so that you will get the best performance out of it.
If you want to complete the installation process of this new firmware update for your Google Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet, then you will need first to read the preparation guide below. It will tell you if your tablet model supports the update and what steps you need to take in order to prepare for the installation process. Here's what you need to know:
- use this post only for the 2012 edition of the Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet.
- your tablet needs to have the codename "nakasi", it can be found in the About Tablet section of your device.
- do not attempt to update any other different Nexus 7 tablets with the files that you will find in this post.
- the 2012 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet that you're about to update has to be running the previous Android 5.0 LRX21P firmware.
- if your tablet runs the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P, then you will first need to install the Android 5.0 LRX21P before installing LRX22G Android 5.0.2 build.
- here is the guide that will help you flash Android 5.0 LRX21P over Android 4.4.4 KTU84P firmware.
- you cannot flash this update file over any custom ROM nor on an OS that has suffered any minor changes.
- make sure to create backups for all the important files that are currently stored on your tablet.
- if your table runs a custom ROM and you still wish to install the Android 5.0.2, then you can do it by first installing the Android 5.0 factory image - guide here.
- return to this guide after the factory image installation is complete.
- if your tablet is running 100% stock Android 5.0, then you can continue with the tutorial below and ignore all the info above.
- use the guide only if you are an advanced user.
- we won't be blamed in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps listed below.
- make sure that the tablet's battery charge level is over 50%, it will prevent the tablet from powering down during installation process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 5.0.2 LRX22G Update for 2012 Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi:
Setup the Android SDK first. This process will allow you to successfully connect your tablet with your PC. Here's how to do it:
- download the Android SDK software zip here.
- extract its contents and save them under a newly created SDK folder on the C:/ partition of your PC.
- open the folder and launch the SDK Manager.
- install all the SDK packages and drivers.
- next, download and install the Google USB Drivers for your Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet.
- use Windows Device Manager to install the usb drivers.
- make sure to try and install the ADB interface while your tablet is connected to PC.
Start the Android 5.0.2 installation now:
- Download the Android 5.0.2 LRX22G zip file here.
- Now you need to rename the firmware file to update.zip
- it allows you to start the Android 5.0.2 update installation easier.
- Place the 'update.zip' file in the 'platform-tools' folder under the SDK directory.
- Boot your tablet in Recovery Mode now.
- Select the apply update from adb option from the Recovery menu.
- Connect the tablet to PC via USB cable.
- Go to the 'platform-tools' folder.
- Launch a command prompt window here:
- press and hold SHIFT key, then right click on the folder's empty space and select 'open command window here' from the right-click context menu.
- Enter 'adb devices' in order to check that your tablet has been detected by the computer.
- Start the Android 5.0.2 LRX22G installation by entering the adb sideload update.zip command line.
- Confirm the install process. When the installation is complete you should reboot the tablet in normal mode.
Note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files. If you need more help you should use the comments field below.