Samsung has pushed the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for all the Open China models of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus devices.
The tutorial below can be used to upgrade your phone's software, or to hard reset it in case you've installed a custom ROM on it. Check all the info listed in this post and you should learn how to flash such official firmware easily for your device.
These updates are being rolled out by Samsung in stages, and not all users are getting them at the same time as others. If you are an advanced user and you know your way around Odin app, then you should be able to complete the update easily. Before starting the installation of Android 6.0.1 you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this post only for the Open China variant of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.
- the model number has to be SM - G9280, and you can check this value under Settings> About Phone section.
- do not use the tutorial for other Galaxy S6 Edge Plus model.
- if you own a different S6 Edge+ model, then you can check these other guides here.
- download Samsung usb drivers from here, then install them on your PC.
- the usb drivers will allow you to connect your phone with the computer.
- for the update process you can use the Odin app.
- for Odin to open on your computer you need to install the usb drivers above, and to enable the USB Debugging from your phone's Developer Options menu.
- Developer Options might be hidden on your device, so you should go to Settings> About Phone: tap seven times on the Build Number section.
- return to Settings, scroll until you reach the Developer Options menu, open it and find USB Debugging.
- this tutorial has to be applied by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- you can install the new update over rooted firmware, but root access will be revoked.
- any custom Recovery you might have installed is going to be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can flash Android 6.0.1 official firmware over custom ROMs, but you will have to Factory Reset the device's system partition after the update is done.
- the Factory Reset is going to wipe the clean the system partition of your device, but no data will be lost from internal storage of your phone.
- Factory Resetting the device will delete all the custom ROM files and allow your Galaxy S6 Edge+ to boot successfully in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- read the entire post and do not skip any steps.
- check your phone's battery charge level, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the device powers off completely.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Open China Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 firmware archive from here.
- When the download is done you need to extract the archived contents.
- save the obtained files on your PC.
- you will obtain the G9280ZCU2BPG1 tar.md5 firmware file, don' extract the tar.md5 file.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
- when download is done you need to unzip the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus to your PC via usb cable.
- wait for Odin to add the device, then you can get to the next step.
- if the phone is not detected you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers once more.
- In Odin click the Options tab. Disable Re-Partition option.
- if that was already disabled you can get to the next step.
- Get back to Odin's main menu and click AP.
- Browse your PC for the G9280ZCU2BPG1 tar.md5 update file. Load the file in Odin.
- Hit the START button in order to confirm Android 6.0.1 installation on your phone
- don't press anything until the update is done.
- When Android 6.0.1 is flashed successfully you can see the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phone rebooting. Also, Odin should display the PASS alert.
- note that the first boot process of this new official firmware will take at least ten minutes to complete.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to finish installing Android 6.0.1 update. If the update was successful you can close this post, and start testing all the new features.
If installation fails, or you can't complete the update for any reason, then you should check the extra info below.
If the FAIL alert is shown by Odin, then you will need to repeat the installation process more than once. If you decide to repeat installation you need to make sure that your phone supports teh udpate and that you won't be skipping any steps listed above.
If ODIN shows the PASS alert, but your phone is unable to go past the boot animation screen, or it enters in a boot loop, then you have to factory reset the device.
The Factory Reset process has to be applied by those that have installed the new update over a custom ROM, too.
Factory Resetting the phone is going to wipe clean the system partition, in order to force your device to boot in normal mode. No data will be lost from the internal storage of your device.
Here's how to factory reset your device:
- power it off first.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need extra help completing the guide then you can tell us in comments.