The new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now available for all the Indian Galaxy S6 Edge Plus models. If you need to flash the update manually without waiting for the OTA files to arrive in your region, then you can use the instructions listed in this post.
Before starting the installation process of this new official firmware you should be checking the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only for the Indian Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928G models.
- the version of your phone can be checked under Settings> About Phone and it should be SM - G928G.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download Samsung USB Drivers here and install them on your computer.
- for the update to be completed easily you will have to use the Odin app.
- ODIN is a small tool that requires Samsung USB Drivers to be installed on your PC and for the USB Debugging to be enabled under Developer Options on your phone.
- if the Developer Options menu doesn't show up under Settings, then you can go to About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number text to enable it.
- go back to Settings, scroll down and you will find Developer Options.
- if your phone is rooted, then root access won't survive the Android 6.0.1 update process.
- any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- you can install the update over a custom ROM, too.
- but, for your Galaxy S6 Edge+ phone to boot in normal mode you will need to factory reset it.
- the 'factory reset' steps are listed at the end of this post and you have to apply them after the update is done.
- factory resetting the Galaxy S6 Edge+ won't remove any data from internal storage, but you will lose all the installed apps instead.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you won't be losing any data files and you can continue to the installation part of this post.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this is a tutorial for advanced users.
- don't blame us if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- check battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from switching off during the installation process.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Update for Indian Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:
- Download G928GDDS2BPD2 Marshmallow 6.0.1 firmware zip from here.
- Extract the zip contents and save them on your PC.
- you will get the G928GDDS2BPD2 tar.md5 firmware updating file.
- save it on your PC, don't extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
- extract the archived contents on your PC.
- Switch off the smartphone.
- Now boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect the phone to computer via usb cable.
- wait for Odin to be recognized by the PC and then continue to the next step.
- if the file is not detected you need to reinstall the usb drivers.
- In ODIN go to Options and disable 're-partition'.
- do not edit any other default Odin settings.
- Now, click AP in ODIN.
- you will be told to browse for the firmware updating file.
- Locate and load the G928GDDS2BPD2 Android 6.0.1 tar.md5 firmware updating file. Load it in ODIN.
- Hit START to begin the Android 6.0.1 update process.
- don't press any buttons until the new firmware file is done installing on your device.
- When the update is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN and the phone will reboot.
- unplug the phone from PC when the 'optimizing apps' screen is shown on your phone.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were the steps you had to take in order to complete the updating process.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN or any other error prevents you from completing the update, then you should attempt to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If you repeat installation of Android 6.0.1 for Galaxy S6 Edge+ phone, then you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps in the process.
If the PASS message is showed in ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation for more then 10-15 minutes without the 'optimizing apps' screen appearing, then you will have to 'factory reset' the device.
The 'factory reset' steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too. Here's how to 'factory reset' the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot phone in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 update for your smartphone. For any extra help tell us in comments.