The official Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image is now live for the O2/UK models of the Google Pixel 2 XL phones. Check the instructions posted below and learn how to flash the new factory files for your device.
Note that by installing the factory image you will get rid of all the contents stored on your phone, as the firmware you are about to install is a copy of a 100% fresh installation of Android 8.1.0. Make sure to backup all the important data files before starting the installation process.
Check the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- this tutorial is destined to be used by those owning only the O2 UK Google Pixel 2 XL devices.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files found in this post.
- make sure to enable the USB Debugging option and OEM Unlock from Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might not be listed under Settings, which is why you have to enable that first: go to Setting> About Phone> and here tap 7 times on the Firmware Build Number text.
– return to Settings> open Developer Options and there you will find the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options ready to be enabled.
- backup every file you consider to be important before starting the flashing process.
– no files will survive the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image installation.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we won’t be held responsible if you brick the phone.
- check the battery charge levels, these should be over 50%, so that the device will not power off during boot.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to install the new factory image for your smartphone.
How to install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for Google Pixel 2 XL O2 UK-only models:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers. Check the instructions listed below in order to learn how to set the drivers:
Download Platform-Tools zip from the links below. Make sure to grab the files that are needed for your device:
- for Windows click here.
for Linux here.
for Mac OS click here.
- when the downloads are done you can extract the contents and save them on your computer.
Place all the files in a folder called Platform-Tools.
- download the Google USB drivers from here.
Now you can initiate the factory image installation.
Install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for O2 UK-only Google Pixel 2 XL device:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image zip from here.
- After the file is downloaded successfully you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
Put all the files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Now, get to Platform-Tools folder and run the a Command Prompt/ Terminal Screen with administrator rights.
- Connect your Pixel 2 XL to computer using the USB cable.
-please verify that the phone has been detected by the PC and continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Google USB drivers once more.
- First thing you have to do is to unlock the device’s Bootloader. Enter the following command line in order to unlock the Pixel 2 XL Bootloader: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process.
- Next, start the install of Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image. Get to Platform-Tools folder.
- Launch the Flash-all.bat installer script for Windows systems, or run the Flash-all.sh for Linux / Mac OS ones.
- Confirm the flashing process.
– don’t press anything until the install is done.
- When the installation is completed successfully you can reboot the Pixel 2 XL in normal mode.
These were all the steps you had to follow. Unplug the phone from PC and you are done with the installation of Android 8.1.0 Oreo for Pixel 2 XL O2 UK models.
If you wish to re-lock the bootloader you simply need to launch the command prompt again, and enter fastboot flashing lock command for it to be done. If you need more help completing the tutorial you should tell us in comments.