The new Android 8.1.0 Oreo OTA Update files are live from Google and you can flash them on your Pixel 2 phone.
Check the tutorial below and you will learn how to successfully flash the new OTA Update using ADB Sideload. Note that this guide will only work in case you haven't modified the installed OS in any way.
This new update is being rolled out in stages and if you don't wish to wait until the update is being rolled our in your region, then you should check the whole and learn how to install it manually. Before starting the installation you need to check the following guidelines.
Use the tutorial only for the Unlocked models of the Google Pixel 2.
Don't try to flash this new update on any other smartphones.
This new update has the firmware version set to Android 8.1.0 OPM1.171019.019 and build date set for February 2018. You can install this update only over the previous January 2018 Android 8.1.0 firmware version.
In case you have modified the installed OS in any way, then you cannot install the new update, as this guide is only destined for 100% stock Android firmware.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options from Developer Options.
If you cannot find Developer Options, then you have to enable these first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text. Get back to Settings, and you will find the Developer Options menu.
Check the battery charge levels and make sure that there is more power left before the device switches off.
How to install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Google Pixel 2:
First you will need to setup the Android ADB drivers and the Platform-Tools, so that you will be able to flash the new firmware update using the ADB sideloading method.
Here's how to configure the Platform-Tools for your device:
- download Platform-Tools for your OS using the links below:
- for Windows click here.
- for Linux click here.
- for Mac OS click here.
- extract the contents and save them all in the Platform-Tools folder.
- download Google USB drivers from here.
Install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Google Pixel 2 using ADB Sideload:
- Download Android 8.1.0 archive file from here.
- You should rename the file to update.zip
- renaming the file will allow you to easily load and flash the new update file.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the Pixel 2 in Recovery Mode.
- Select apply update from adb option from Recovery Mode.
- Connect your Pixel 2 to PC via usb cable.
Verify that the phone has been detected by the PC.
If the phone has not been detected you need to reinstall the usb drivers.
- Get back to Platform-Tools folder.
- Launch a command prompt/ terminal screen here with administrator rights.
- Enter the following command line in order to begin the Android 8.1.0 ota update process: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm the process.
Reboot the phone and unplug the it from PC after the update is done installing.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial you need to tell us in comments.
If the installation fails you should try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once.