Google has announced and released the official new Developer Preview build of Android P for all Pixel 2 XL users.
If you wish to test all the new features and cool things added by Android P, then you can use the instructions below and learn how to manually flash the new files.
The new Android P Dev Preview factory image installation will wipe clean your smartphone, which is why you should create backups for all important files first. The Android P Final builds will be launched later this year, but until then you can see what Google has in plan by testing the preview builds.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use the tutorial for the Google Pixel 2 XL devices.
- do not attempt to install any files you find in this post on any other different models.
- you need to enable Developer Options if you haven't done it already: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text.
- now, open Developer Options, find USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options, then enable them both.
- this will allow your computer and your Pixel 2 XL to connect via usb cable.
- installing the Android P Developer Preview Factory Image will delete all the files from your smartphone's storage.
- no file will survive the installation process, so you should create backups for all the important files before starting the install.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the entire tutorial first and do not skip any steps.
- check the battery charge levels and make sure that the Pixel 2 XL has 50% charge left before it powers off completely.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel 2 XL:
You need to setup the Platform-Tools and Android ADB Fastboot drivers first. Check the info below.
How to setup Android ADB and Platform-Tools:
- download the Platform-Tools zip for your computer's OS using the links below:
- for Windows here.
- for Linux here.
- for Mac OS here.
- after the download of the file is done you have to unzip the contents.
- place all the files in the Platform-Tools folder on your PC.
- download and install Google USB drivers from here.
You can flash the system image.
Install Android P Developer Preview System Image for Pixel 2 XL:
- Download Android P Developer Preview System Image file from here.
- After the download is completed successfully you have to extract the contents.
Place all the obtained Android P firmware files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your Pixel 2 XL with the computer using the USB cable.
- verify that the device has been detected by the computer, then get to the next step.
- if the phone is not added you need to check the above info in order to setup Platform-Tools.
- Launch a command prompt/ terminal window in Platform-Tools with administrator rights.
- Enter the following command line in order to unlock the Bootloader of your Pixel 2 XL: fastboot flashing unlock
- confirm the process and wait for it to be completed.
- Now you can start the Android P installation.
Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch the Flash-all.bat script in order to confirm the installation.
- don't press any buttons until the new files are done installing.
- Unplug the phone from PC when Android P is flashed and then wait for the first boot process to be completed.
These were all the steps you had to go over in order to finish the install.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.