Samsung has released the official Android 6.0.1 MM August security patch for all the International Galaxy S6 Edge Plus smartphones.
Check the guidelines listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully learn how to flash the new firmware update manually.
The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official OTA update is being rolled out in stages, and not all Galaxy S6 Edge Plus users will get it at the same time. If you think that you can handle Odin and flash the update it, then this is the tutorial that you can use to learn how to do it.
Before starting the installation of this new official firmware you need to check the extra info below:
- use this post for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus models.
- the model of your phone has to be SM - G928F.
- do not attempt to update any other different Galaxy S6 device with the files that you will find in this post.
- you can check the version of your phone under Settings> About Phone section.
- download Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- install these drivers on your computer.
- the usb drivers will allow ODIN to detect your phone, and you to complete the update manually.
- enable USB Debugging from your phone's Developer Options.
- the Developer Options menu might be hidden which is why you need to enable it first.
- go to Settings, open About Phone, then press seven times on the Build Number section.
- now you are a developer, return to Settings, scroll down to find Developer Options.
- open the Developer Options menu, enable it, then enable USB Debugging, too.
- you can flash this update over rooted firmware, but root access will be revoked in the process.
- also, any custom Recovery you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can flash the new update over custom ROMs, too, but you have to factory reset your phone's system partition after the update is done.
- the Factory Reset process will wipe the system partition, but no data will be lost from internal storage of your device.
- Factory Resetting the phone will not remove any data from internal storage of your device.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this tutorial.
- if your Galaxy S6 Edge PLUS runs 100% stock Android, then you can complete the update process manually without any major problems.
- this tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- read the whole post and make sure you won't be skipping any steps.
- check battery charge level of your phone, there should be at least 50% charge left before the device switches off completely.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is released over-the-air, and if you are unsure about installing it manually, then you should wait until Samsung pushes the new update in your region.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware from here.
- Extract the files from the archive after the download is done.
- you should obtain the G928FXXS2BPH1 tar.md5 firmware file.
- do not extract the tar.md5 file, as that is the firmware updating file that you have to load and flash using Odin.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
- when the download is done you can extract the contents from the zip.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin on your PC.
- Connect the Galaxy S6 Plus to PC via usb cable.
- wait for Odin to detect the phone.
- if the phone is not detected you need to try and reinstall the Samsung usb drivers once more.
- Go back to ODIN, open Options, and then make sure that 're-partition' option is disabled.
- don't edit other default Odin settings.
- Click AP button in ODIN.
- Browse your PC for the Android 6.0.1 G928FXXS2BPH1 tar.md5 firmware file. Load it in Odin.
- Hit the START button when you wish to begin the update file.
- don't press any buttons until the new firmware update is done installing.
- When the new update is done installing you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN. Also, your phone should then reboot in normal mode.
Use your usual login info in order to unlock your device. Unplug the phone from PC when the "optimizing apps" screen loads on your PC.
If installation was successful you can start testing all new features. If anything went wrong or in case you can't complete the update for any number of reasons, then you can check the extra info below.
If Odin says FAIL, or it shows another error, then you need to restart installation. Read once again the guidelines above the tutorial, make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps listed in the tutorial.
In case you can't complete the new update, then it would be best to leave a detailed comment at the end of this post. We will try to come up with viable solutions for any installation problem you might encounter.
If the PASS is shown by Odin, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you have to 'factory reset' the system partition.
The Factory Reset steps are listed below, and they need to be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too. Factory Resetting the phone won't release any data from internal storage, but it will delete the system partition removing all the installed apps in the process.
Here's how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option.
- confirm process.
- reboot your device in normal mode.
In case you need any extra help completing this guide, then you can tell us in comments below.