The Google Nexus 4 devices have stopped getting new Android OS upgrades almost two years ago, but you can still test the latest Android features using custom ROMs like the ones built by Carbon team.
The CarbonROM team is back and they are packing some of the best new customizations along with all the new AOSP Nougat 7.1 features in this release. You can follow the instructions in this post in order to learn how to upgrade your device.
The installation is done manually, and you should first read the following guidelines first:
- use this post only with the Nexus 4 phones.
- don't try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- the phone has to be rooted and it should run TWRP Recovery image.
- the installation custom Recovery has to be upgraded to its latest version, so that it supports the latest Android 7.1-based custom ROMs.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging for your phone from its Developer Options menu.
- if you can't find Developer Options, then you need to unhide it: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number section.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps: NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a complete copy of the installed OS, as it can be used to fix your Nexus 4 OS in case something goes wrong during installation.
- the Factory Reset process wipes the system, it removes the old custom ROM and it allows CarbonROM Nougat OS to boot successfully.
- before starting the flashing process you should backup all the important data.
- use this guide if you are an advanced user, we can't be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the entire guide and do not skip any steps.
- check battery life and make sure that there is 50% charge left before the phone powers off.
After the CarbonROM installation is done you can continue installing future newly released builds using the OTA Updating tool designed by the Carbon Developers team.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CarbonROM Android 7.1 ROM for Google Nexus 4:
- Download the CarbonROM Android 7.1 zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Nougat 7.1 ROMs from here.
- When downloads are complete you can copy the files to your phone's internal storage.
- do not extract the archived contents.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the Nexus 4 in TWRP Recovery Mode.
- First thing you need to do is to setup the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
Click the BACKUP menu, select the system files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Now you can Factory Reset the phone:
Select 'WIPE' option and confirm.
- Install the CarbonROM Nougat 7.1 ROM now:
- Click INSTALL and find the CarbonROM zip file, load it in TWRP.
- Confirm flashing process.
- When the installation is done you need to install the Gapps zip, too.
Install Gapps the same way you did with the custom ROM.
- After you complete installing all the new files you need to restart your smartphone.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
I hope that the installation was completed successfully and that you are already testing all the new Nougat features.
Please note that the Nexus 4 battery life might suffer when running Android 7.1 Nougat ROMs, as these are usually requiring better hardware than the one packed on your device.
If the flashing process fails to complete you will need to repeat the whole tutorial more than once, and you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps listed above.
Also, if you need any extra help you can tell us in comments.