The CyanogenMod team has released the official CM 12 Nightly ROM for the Motorola Droid 4 smartphone. Check the info listed in this post if you want to learn how to successfully install a brand new custom Lollipop ROM for your device.
The CM 12 Nightly ROM is based on the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop AOSP builds, but it packs tons of other extra features in it too. Check the CyanogenMod team website here for more info on this release.
Before starting the installation process of this new ROM you should read the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Motorola Droid 4.
– do not try to install the files that you will find in this post on any other different Android device.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of either CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery.
– the installed custom Recovery needs to be upgraded to its latest build so that it supports the installation of a brand new Android 5.x Lollipop ROM.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a restore point for the device, it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes clean the system memory partition, it allows you to install the new CM 12 Nightly ROM on a clean partition by removing the old ROM.
– ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t remove any data from installed applications.
- if you need to save any data from installed apps, then you can try Helium for Android.
– Contacts info and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- this is a guide for advanced user.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering down during installation.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you end up losing any data nor in case you brick your device.
NOTE: after the CM 12 Nightly ROM is flashed you wish to continue using it, then you should know that you can keep updating it with new Nightlies using the newly created CyanogenMod Updates menu under Setting> About Device section.
How to flash CM 12 Nightly for Motorola Droid 4:
- Download the ROM zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for CM 12 ROMs here.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via USB Cable and move both zip files to its internal storage.
– after the transfer is complete you can move disconnect the device from PC.
– do not unzip the files.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
– remember that any custom Recovery that is upgraded to its latest version is going to work with this post.
– below you can find instructions for both CWM and TWRP recoveries, but you can easily adapt the instructions for any other custom Lollipop-based Recovery you might be using.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– for CWM select ‘backup and restore’; TWRP users should use the ‘backup’ menu.
- Now you can apply the ‘factory reset’:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. TWRP – ‘wipe’ menu.
- Start the CM 12 Nightly installation:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press ‘install’.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation process.
- After the installation is complete you should flash the Gapps zip too.
- Reboot your device in normal mode after installation is done.
- Use your usual Google account or create a new CM profile in order to retake complete control over your device again.
Note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files. If the first boot takes more than 30 minutes and it can’t go past the Motorola boot screen or it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once.
In case you do repeat the guide, then make sure that your device meets all the requirements listed in the guidelines and that you won’t be skipping any steps in the process.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of this new ROM on your Motorola Droid 4 smartphone. If you need any extra help completing this guide, then you should use the comments field below.