Android 7.0 Nougat will soon be released in its official form, but you can still test it by using the Dev Preview Final release.
Check the info listed in this post in order to learn how to flash a new factory image that's based on Nougat 7.0 OS. Google will soon release the official build, but until then it would be best for you to test the preview builds and get accustomed for when the official update is rolled out successfully.
After you install the Android 7.0 Nougat Factory Image you will see all the new goodies that Google will add in this post.
Check the guidelines below in order to learn what you need to do before starting the flashing process:
- use this post only for the Google Nexus 9 LTE devices.
- do not attempt to update any other different devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- go to your tablet's Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging.
- in case you cannot find the Developer Options, then it means that it is hidden and you will need to unhide it: go to Settings> About Device and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- return to Settings, scroll down and Developer Options should now appear.
- open Developer Options to enable USB Debugging, too.
- the installation of Android 7.0 Nougat Preview factory image will remove all the data that is currently stored on your device.
- make sure to backup all the important files before getting to the installation part of this post.
- in case your tablet is rooted, then you will need to know that root access is no going to survive the update.
- also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- check your tablet's battery charge level before starting the flashing process, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left in it.
- this tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users only.
- don't blame us in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
Since you've read all of the above you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Final Android 7.0 Marshmallow Factory Image for LTE Nexus 9:
First thing that you need to do is to setup the Android SDK for your device. This will allow you to easily connect your tablet to your computer easily and, complete the installation of this new factory image successfully.
Android SDK installation:
- download Android SDK here.
- install it on your computer.
- go to the SDK installation folder and launch the SDK Manager.exe.
- use the SDK Manager to download and install all the required SDK packages and usb drivers.
- after that you should look for the platform-tools folder in the SDK installation directory.
- in this particular folder you will need to copy the Android 7.0 factory image installation files.
- if you cannot connect the tablet to PC you need to reinstall the Google usb drivers here.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
- Download the Android 7.0 Nougat Final Preview factory image file from here.
- Extract the archived contents and save them on your computer. Move these files to platform-tools folder.
- Switch off the tablet.
- Now boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect the Nexus 9 LTE to your PC using a usb cable.
- Get to platform-tools folder.
- Launch the flash-all.bat installer script to begin the Android 7.0 Final Preview installation.
- After the installation is done you can see a confirmation message shown by the Installer Script and the tablet will reboot.
Note that the first boot process of this new OS is going to take a while before it completes. Use your default Google account in order to regain complete control over your device once again.