Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Official OTA Update is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Use this tutorial and learn how to manually flash the new firmware upgrade using Odin. Read the entire post and make sure that you don't skip any steps that I've listed below.
The Android 4.3 JB update brings the following changes for your Galaxy S3: Galaxy Gear support, TRIM supprot, ANT+ support, new Samsung keyboard, updated GPU drivers, revamped lockscreen, DayDream, Driving Mode, move-to-sd-card support, new camera mode, Samsung Galaxy S4 Settings UI and others more.
More info about the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update 'Premium Suite' can be found in our news article here.
This update is rolled out in phases, with Vodafone Ireland being the first country and carrier who rolled out the update. All the other regions will receive the updating files starting later today. Those of you who are on stock ROM can use the Samsung KIES software to upgrade or wait for the Notification OTA message to be sent to your device, or you can go yourself to Settings, Software Update and check for new firmware files.
Read the guidelines listed below before starting the updating process:
- Use this article only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 International model number I9300.
- this is the Exynos 4 Quad CPU.
- do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 models with the files you find here.
- If your device is full stock then you won't lose any data from your device.
- In case you have only rooted the phone without any customizations, then the update installation will revoke root without deleting data.
- If the phone is rooted and it features a custom ROM, then it will delete the system partition contents.
- internal / external storage won't be affected by the installation.
- Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your Windows PC from here.
- Disable / uninstall Samsung KIES software from running on your PC.
- Disable all antivirus / security applications before starting the installation, as otherwise these might interfere with the process.
- Create backup for important files, just in case something goes wrong during the update.
- Make sure that your phone's battery has enough power left before it completely switches off. In case the device powers off while you're updating its firmware, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone.
- If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with viable solutions, so that you'll upgrade your device with the latest Jelly Bean official OS.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the interesting part of this post.
How to flash official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the Android 4.3 firmware update from here. (Vodafone Ireland Android 4.3 Update files).
- if you want to download a different region build, then you can follow the SamMobile link here. Make sure to create an account in order to be able to visit SamMobile.
- Extract the zip contents and place the ".tar.md5" file on your desktop.
- don't extract any further than that.
- Download Odin from here.
- extract Odin contents to a single folder.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
- Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power all at the same time, then release the buttons when the 'Warning!' screen appears. Press Volume Up to confirm the Download Mode boot.
- if you don't know how to do it, then you can follow our guide here.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer via USB Cable.
- wait for Odin to recognize your Galaxy S3, then continue tot the next step.
- if the phone is not added by Odin, then you need to switch between USB ports or re-install the USB Drivers.
- Now, go to Odin screen, click on PDA and load the .tar.md5 firmware file.
- don't change any default settings and make sure that Re-Partition is disabled.
- Click the START button whenever you're ready for the updating process to begin.
- don't press any buttons until all files are installed successfully.
- When the installation is complete, your Galaxy S3 will reboot and you can disconnect it from PC when the Samsung boot animation appears.
- Enter your Google Account details. That should be all, the update to Android 4.3 is now complete.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to update your smartphone.
If the phone doesn't boot in normal mode after installing all files, then you will be forced to apply a factory reset. This means that the data from system partition will be removed in the process, but the Galaxy S3 will be forced to boot in normal.
Here's how to apply Factory Reset for your Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3:
- power off the device completely.
- remove it battery, then re-insert it after a few seconds.
- boot your phone in Recovery Mode.
- read the info here if you don't know how to boot stock Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset' and confirm.
- return to the main Recovery screen.
- reboot your phone in normal mode.
- enter the Google Account info and take control over your smartphone once again.
For any other questions or in case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.