The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now live for all the US Cellular Galaxy S6 Edge Plus models.
If you haven't received the new update over-the-air or you want to restore your phone to stock Android 6.0.1 firmware, then you should check the info listed in this post and learn how to manually complete the update.
Before starting installation you need to check the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the US Cellular variant of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus models.
- the model version of your phone has to be SM - G928R4.
- the version of your phone can be found under Settings> About Device section.
- don't update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download the Samsung USB Drivers here, then install them on your PC.
- these drivers will allow the computer to detect your phone through the Odin app.
- Odin is the tool that you should use in order to complete the new official update manually.
- for Odin to work on your PC you need to install the usb drivers above and to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options section of your phone.
- if you can't find the Developer Options, then you should go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- return to Settings menu, scroll down and you will find the newly created Developer Options menu.
- open Developer Options and then enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash the update over rooted firmware, but root access will be removed after the update is done.
- any custom Recovery image is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can install the new update using Odin over custom ROMs, too.
- if you install over custom ROMs you will need to do an additional process like Factory Reset.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- Factory Resetting the smartphone is going to remove the old custom ROM and allow official Android 6.0.1 firmware to boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset is not going to delete any data from internal storage.
- if your phone is already running a 100% stock Android storage, then you can get straight to the tutorial, as no data files are going to be replaced in the process.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off.
- this is a guide for advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
Since you've read all of the above you can get to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update for US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:
- Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official firmware archive file here.
- Extract the contents from the archive file and save them on your PC.
- you should obtain the G928R4TYU2BPE1 tar.md5 firmware file.
- do not unzip the files.
- Download the Odin 3.10.7 from here.
- extract the contents from the zip file.
- Power off your phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- that's a Download Mode boot guide for Galaxy S6 Edge models, but it will work for the Edge Plus models, too.
- Get to Odin's main screen and open OPTIONS.
- disable the Re-Partition option.
- Click AP button in Odin in order to begin the update process.
- Find the Android 6.0.1 tar.md5 firmware and load it Odin.
- Press START to begin the new Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 update for your smartphone.
- don't press any buttons until all the new firmware files are done installing.
- When the update is done you can see your device booting in normal mode and the PASS alert shown by Odin app.
- Unplug your phone from computer when the "optimizing screen" screen loads.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over the device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the new update.
In case the new firmware isn't installed or the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, then you will need to try and repeat the whole guide more than once.
If you need to repeat installation, then you have to make sure that you won't skip any steps and to make sure that your GalaxyS6 Edge Plus meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS alert is shown in ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen you will have to 'factory reset' the system partition.
The Factory Reset steps are listed below and you have to use them in case the new Android 6.0.1 official update has been installed over a custom ROM, too.
Here's how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- confirm process.
- reboot your phone in normal mode.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial you can tell us in comments.