The first builds of CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM are now available for download and you can install them on your Google Nexus 6 smartphone. This is a guide for users that are looking to add extra features to their stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop phone.
Since this is one of the first Nightly CM 12 builds released by the CyanogenMod team, then you should expect to find some errors and bugs while testing the release. Note that these builds are released on a daily basis, so you should keep updating them until the first stable CM 12 M-Snapshot ROM is released in the following weeks.
Learn more about the CM 12 Nightly builds here. The article we've linked is from the 5th of January, but since then the CM team has managed to add extra features and a better CM 12 environment that we've seen on those releases. Keep in mind that the CM team will send notifications to your device about new releases and updated CM 12 Nightly or M-Snapshot builds after you've completed the ROM installation.
Before starting the install process you should read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 6 device.
- do not attempt to update any other Android phones with the files that you will find in this post.
- The Nexus 6 phone that you are about to update needs to be rooted.
- also,the installed custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version before starting installation, as otherwise you won't be able to flash the CM 12 Nightly Android 5.0 ROM.
- note that the tutorial features instructions for both CWM and TWRP custom recoveries.
- your phone also needs to be on an unlocked bootloader.
- in the 'how-to' part of this post you will two extra steps: the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
- do not skip these steps.
- the NANDROID ROM Backup sets a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset wipes all the data that was installed on the system memory by the previous ROM.
- 'factory reset' will not delete any data from the internal storage of your phone.
- if you need to save data from installed applications, SMS text messages or any other type of files, then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
- Contacts data and People details can always be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check your device's battery life and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from powering down during the installation process.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you lose any data files in the process nor in case you end up bricking the phone.
- read the entire tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps if you wish to complete the tutorial at your first attempt.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your Android device.
Keep in mind that you can keep updating this new CM 12 Nightly ROM using the CyanogenMod Updates menu in Settings.
How to flash CM 12 Android 5.0 Nightly ROM for Nexus 6:
- Download the latest CM 12 build from here.
- make sure to grab the latest file uploaded by the CyanogenMod team.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.x ROMs here.
- Connect the phone to PC and move both zip files to its internal storage.
- do not unzip the downloaded files.
- disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied with success.
- Power off the Nexus 6 and then boot it into CWM / TWRP custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
- for the CWM Recovery select 'backup and restore' option, while for TWRP you should select 'backup'.
- set an easy to remember name for the backup file and then confirm process.
- Factory Reset the phone:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset' and for TWRP you should tap on 'Wipe' option.
- confirm Nexus 6 factory reset, then get to the next step.
- Now you can flash the CM 12 Nightly ROM on your phone:
- for CWM select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard' options.
- for TWRP you should tap on 'Install'.
- Browse the Nexus 6 internal storage and load the CM 12 Nightly zip file.
- Confirm the ROM installation process.
- don't press any buttons until all the custom ROM are flashed on your device.
- When the ROM is installed you can install the Gapps zip in the same way as you did with the CM 12 file.
- Reboot the Nexus 6 in normal mode after all files have been installed with success.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM should take more than ten minutes before it loads all the new files.
- Use your usual login details or create a CyanogenMod profile in order to take control over your device once again.
If you need extra help completing the CM 12 Android 5.0.2 Nightly ROM on your Nexus 6, then you should use the comments field below.