SlimROMs has released Slim6 Alpha Marshmallow test build for the Motorola Moto E LTE 2nd-gen edition. Check the info in this post if you want to learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM easily.
The Slim6 Alpha releases are based on the AOSP Android 6.0.1 builds, but you will find tons of extra features and functions like the following ones: DPI changer, SLimLauncher, root access, Slim Doze / Ambient display, proximity wake and proximity speaker, layers support, advanced restart options, SlimActions / Shortcuts, AOSP Day Night theme, in-call vibration features, status bar clock and date customizations, SlimRecents, Slim NavBar, and more.
Check the following guidelines before starting the installation of this new custom ROM:
- use the tutorial for the 2nd-gen Motorola Moto E LTE devices only.
- don't use this post for any other different Moto E LTE models.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should run the latest build of either CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- the installed custom Recovery needs to be upgraded to its latest version, so that it supports the installation of a brand new Android 6.0.1-based custom ROM.
- in the tutorial part of this post you can find two extra preparations steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case you end up bricking your phone.
- factory resetting the device is going to remove the old custom ROM and wipe the system partition, as it will force your device to boot in normal mode.
- the factory reset won't delete any data from the internal storage of your phone.
- all installed apps will be lost in the process.
- if you want to backup data from installed apps you should use the Helium tool for Android.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that there is at least 40% charge left before your device switches off.
- read the entire post and do not skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above you can get to the next part of this post.
Slim6 ROM builds aren't using that many resources and you should find it running smoother and even faster than the Stock Android OS that you currently run on your device.
How to flash Slim6 Alpha Android 6.0.1 ROM for 2nd-gen Motorola Moto E LTE:
- Download the Slim6 Alpha Marshmallow ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0.1-based ROMs from here.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable and move both zip files to your phone's internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- disconnect your device from computer when the files are copied.
- Power off the Moto E.
- Boot Moto E LTE in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you have to setup the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's currently installed on your device:
- for CWM open the 'backup and restore' menu, while for TWRP you need to use the 'backup' menu.
- select the system files you want to backup and continue to the next part of this post.
- Factory Reset your phone:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe'.
- Start Slim6 Alpha Android 6.0.1 installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install'.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation process.
- do not press anything until the new custom ROM is done flashing.
- When the Slim6 Android 6.0.1 ROM is installed you can flash the Gapps in the same way.
- Reboot your smartphone in normal mode when all the new files are done installing.
- Use your default Google account in order to regain control over your phone once again.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully install the Android 6.0.1-based Slim6 Alpha custom ROM for your Motorola Moto E LTE 2nd-gen.
If the installation fails you need to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. For more help tell us in comments.