SlimBean now features a Stable build based on Jelly Bean 4.3 and you can use this guide in order to learn how to successfully install it on the Galaxy S2 I9100. Read this entire tutorial and make sure that you know what you're doing before starting the installation.
Build 1 of SlimBean is the first stable release for this Android 4.3 custom ROM, though you should create a NANDROID Backup before starting the installation. Such system backup is required in case the new ROM packs major errors and you would eventually be forced to use the restore point.
SlimBean is created by SlimROM team and it is borrows elements and components from AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, CyanogenMod and other similar custom ROMs that are somewhat popular. Also, the base is AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM. For more info about this new release you should follow the developing team's web page here.
Read the preparation guide below in order to correctly configure your device for the updating process:
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Do not attempt to update any other devices using the info that I have listed here.
- Your Galaxy S2 I9100 has to be factory unlocked and rooted.
- Also, for you to flash the new ROM build, your device needs to have CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on your device.
- In the 'how-to' part of this tutorial you will find the 'wipe data/ factory reset' step. This is needed for a clean installation.
- Factory Reset will remove all contents from your device's system partition, while the internal / external SDcard contents won't be affected by this process.
- If you want to backup installed apps data, use the Helium app from Google Play or Titanium Backup.
> if you decide to use Titanium Backup app, then you have to change backup/ restore path to ‘legacy’ from app settings menu.
- If you want to save data from SMS, Call Logs or APN Internet Settings, then you should use these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that you don't skip any steps that I've listed in the tutorial.
- Check the battery power level before starting the installation, as it should be over 50%. If the phone powers off in the middle of the installation, then you will be forced to repeat the entire post.
- Read all the info I've listed and don't skip any steps that I've listed below.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post. If you're having problems with the installation of this new ROM, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
How to flash SlimBean Android 4.3 Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- save this file on your PC and don't extract its contents.
- download the latest possible zip version.
- Download Slim-Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- this file has to be flashed after you install the ROM, as it will add all the Google-based apps that your device needs.
- don't unzip.
- Connect the Galaxy S2 to your computer via USB Cable, then move both zip files to your phone's internal storage.
- when the files are copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this tutorial.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM.
- CWM Recovery: select 'backup and restore', then use the backup to internal sdcard option to complete the step.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system data you want to set as restore point. Confirm.
> this backup will be saved to your device's internal storage and it can be used in case your phone doesn't boot with the new ROM.
> also, you can use it if you don't like how your device runs with the SlimBean JB 4.3 ROM.
- Next, apply a 'factory reset' for your smartphone:
- CWM Recovery: select 'wipe data/ factory reset', then confirm the process.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> this step is highly important as otherwise your Galaxy S2 might not boot into normal mode with SlimBean ROM.
- Now you can flash the custom ROM files:
- CWM Recovery: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'. Find the SlimBean I9100 ROM file. Confirm the installation.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install, then find the SlimBean ROM file and load it into TWRP. Confirm that you wish to flash this zip by swiping the bottom blue button.
> the installation for this ROM should take several minutes to complete, make sure not to press any buttons until all files are flashed.
> if the ROM doesn't complete installation at the first attempt, then you can attempt to re-flash again.
- When the SlimBean ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and install the Slim-Gapps zip. Confirm the installation.
- Return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Menu when both files are flashed. Use the Reboot options to restart your Galaxy S2 into normal mode.
- Do not press any buttons while the phone restarts, but note that this might take a while before all files are loaded.
- if the first boot process takes too long to complete or the device enters into a boot loop, then you should remove the phone's battery, then re-insert it and repeat the entire tutorial.
- When the home screen of SlimBean 4.3 JB custom ROM loads, enter your Google Account details and take control over your device. Start testing the new ROM and tell us in comments how's your phone working with it.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with the latest Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM stable build.
If you don't like how this new ROM works with your device, then you can use the ROM NANDROID Backup files created in step 6 and restore your Galaxy S2 to its previous state.