Android 4.4 is live, but not for all devices, as it only available on Nexus 5 at the moment. However, numerous developers have started to work with AOSP KitKat 4.4 source files and now you can flash an unofficial CyanogenMod 11 on your Galaxy S3 LTE phone.
This unofficial build of CM 11 is created by 'mcampbellsmith', XDA member and developer. It features all the KitKat features and you should be able to install the custom ROM without bricking your device. However, it is strongly advised for you to create a full Backup of the currently installed ROM before flashing this new ROM.
More info about this custom ROM can be found at its XDA thread here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE model number I9305.
- do not attempt to flash the new experimental CM 11 custom build on any other Android smartphones.
- A factory reset is required for this new ROM to flash successfully.
- factory reset deletes all data from system partition.
- internal / external storage cards won't be affected by the factory reset process.
- The Galaxy S3 LTE you're about to update should be factory unlocked, rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium tool here.
- do not use the Titanium Backup app, as you cannot restore data with it.
- Backup APN Internet Settings and SMS text messages using the following Android tools: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info and People details with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those of you who don't know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone's battery power charge levels and make sure that it is over 50%. This will prevent the phone from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Create a NANDROID Backup of your current installed ROM. This step can be found in the tutorial too.
- Note that this is a guide for advanced users, do not skip any steps and read the entire post before starting the installation.
- We can't be held responsible in case you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Unofficial CM 11 Android 4.4 custom ROM for Galaxy S3 LTE I9305:
- Download the CM 11 unofficial ROM zip file from here.
- Download the Gapps zip for this ROM from here.
- Connect your SGS3 LTE to your computer via USB Cable, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- don't unzip the files.
- after the transfer is complete, disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you don't know how to boot custom Recovery, check this guide here.
- First you have to create the full NANDROID Backup for your current ROM:
- select 'backup and restore' option and save the file on your phone's internal storage.
- Next, apply the factory reset for your device:
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset', then confirm the process.
- Now you can flash the new Unofficial CM 11 custom ROM zip:
- select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'. Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, you will have to repeat step 8 and flash Gapps file too.
- When both files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your device in normal mode.
- note: the first boot process of Unofficial CM11 ROM takes several minutes to complete.
- if the first boot doesn't complete in under ten minutes, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Enter your Google Account details when the new CM 11 Unofficial Android 4.4 home screen appears.
Now that you've managed to flash all files you can start testing the new ROM features.
If you have any problems with the installation process, then you can ask for more help in comments.