In case you don't want to wait until Google pushes the official Android 5.1.1 LMY47V firmware in your region, then you can use the manual installation guide below in order to learn how to flash the update manually.
This is a tutorial that uses the "adb sideload" method in order to get the latest Lollipop firmware installed on your tablet. Remember that your Nexus 10 tablet has to be running stock firmware for the instructions below to work. If you try to flash an official Android 5.1.1 or any other firmware over a custom ROM you will be shown an error alert and you risk bricking the device.
Before starting the installation you should check the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Google Nexus 10 tablets.
- do not flash the files that you will find in this post on any other different Android devices.
- for Android 5.1.1 Lollipop LMY47V firmware OTA Update to be installed correctly you will have to flash it only over the previous Android 5.1 LMY47D version.
- you can't flash the LMY47V 5.1.1 build of Android over any older firmware.
- the firmware version of your device can be verified under Settings> About Device> Build Number and if it says LMY47D you can continue with the updating process.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- in case the Developer Options menu doesn't show up in Settings, you will have to enable it first.
- go to About Device and scroll down to Build Number, tap on that section 7 times and you will become a developer.
- go back to Settings> open Developer Options, enable it and then tick the USB Debugging option.
- this is a guide that you can use only if you are an advanced user.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the tablet, nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- read the whole guide first and do not skip any steps if you want to upgrade Nexus 10 to Android 5.1.1 at the first attempt.
- check your device's battery charge level, before getting to the tutorial you need to make sure that there is at least 50% left before the tablet powers off by itself.
Do not try to use this guide in case you've modified your tablet's Android OS in any way.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 5.1.1 LMY47V Lollipop for Nexus 10 running LMY47D Android 5.1 firmware:
In order to be able to flash a new official firmware on your tablet you will have to use the PC and then 'adb sideload' the Android 5.1.1 update file.
Setup Android SDK adb bundle first:
- download the Android SDK from here.
- extract its contents in a single folder called 'SDK'.
- find and open SDK Manager executable.
- confirm the download and installation of all SDK drivers and packages.
- next, locate the 'platform-tools' folder under the SDK directory.
- open this folder and leave it like that.
- now, download and install the Google USB Drivers for your PC.
When everything is set you can continue to the installation info below.
- Download Android 5.1 LMY47V firmware upgrade zip from here.
- When you've completed the download you will have to rename the file to "update.zip".
- the renaming part is needed so that you will not be forced to enter all those characters in the original title.
- after you've renamed the file you can continue to the next step.
- Place the update.zip file in the 'platform-tools' folder under SDK directory.
- Power off your tablet.
- Next, boot the Nexus 10 in Recovery Mode.
- Select the option that says 'apply update from adb'.
- Go to 'platform-tools' folder and launch a command prompt window there.
- it can be done by pressing and holding SHIFT key, then right-clicking on the folder's empty space and selecting 'open command window here'.
- Use the USB cable and connect the Nexus 10 to your PC.
- Verify that the tablet has been detected by your computer using adb devices command line.
- if there is a device listed as attached you can continue to the next step.
- if no devices are shown as connected, then you should try to re-install the USB Drivers for your Google devices.
- Initiate the Android 5.1.1 LMY47V installation using the following command line:
adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm installation and wait until all the new files are installed with success.
- Reboot your tablet in normal mode after all the new files have been flashed.
Use the comments field in case you need any extra help.