Google has posted the Android 8.0 Factory Image and you can now install them on your Google Nexus 6P smartphones.
If you don't want to wait for the Android 8.0 Oreo OTA Update roll out, or you're looking to restore your Nexus 6P to 100% stock Android firmware, then you can use the guide below. Remember that this is a guide that has to be applied only by advanced users.
Before starting the flashing process of Android 8.0 OREO factory image you have to check the following guidelines:
- this guide has to be applied for the Google Nexus 6P smartphones only.
- don't try to use this tutorial for any other different Android devices.
- you need to enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from the Developer Options menu.
- if Developer Options is hidden, then you will have to unhide them first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings menu and the Developer Options menu will now be listed there.
- open Developer Options, find the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock, enable them.
- note that by installing the Factory Image you will wipe clean the whole device, no data file will survive the installation.
- create backups for all the important files before starting the installation.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check your phone's battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off completely.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
You will have to setup the Android ADB and Fastboot drivers before starting the update.
SETUP Android ADB and Fastboot drivers:
This will allow you to connect your phone with your PC, and be able to complete the flashing process easily. Without these you cannot install the factory images on your Nexus phone. Here's how to complete the setup:
- Download the Platform-Tools zip from the following links:
- for Linux click here.
- for Mac OS click here.
- for Windows click here.
- When the download is done you need to extract the zip contents. Save the files in a newly created Platform-Tools folder.
- leave the folder open.
- now download and install the Google USB drivers from here.
Get to the next part of this post and start the flashing process.
How to install Android 8.0 OREO System Image for Nexus 6P:
- Download Android 8.0 Factory Image from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the contents.
Save the extracted files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off your device.
- Boot the phone in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your Nexus 6P with your PC via usb cable.
- wait for the device to be detected by the computer.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch a Command Prompt / Terminal listed there.
- In the command prompt/ terminal you need to enter the following command line to unlock the device's bootloader: fastboot flashing unlock
- confirm process.
- if you've already unlocked the phone's bootloader, then you can skip this step.
- Now you can go to Platform-Tools
- Find and launch the Flash-all.bat script for Windows PCs, or the Flash-all.sh for Linux / Mac OS computers.
Confirm the installation process.
Don't press anything until the flashing process is done.
- When the Android 8.0 System image is installed you can see a confirmation alert. Unplug the phone from PC and reboot the device in normal mode.
- Use your usual login info and details in order to regain control over your device.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 8.0 System Image installation for your Nexus 6P phone.
If you require any extra help completing this guide, then you can tell us in comments below.
Remember that the installation might fail at first, but you can repeat the whole guide more than once. If you repeat the flashing process, then you need to make sure that you won't skip any steps and that you are an advanced user.