Android 8.0 Oreo is now being rolled out, and if you wish to refresh your smartphone and install a brand new stock firmware, then this is the guide you will have to use.
The Android 8.0 system image can be flashed on your Pixel XL device, but you should know that this process is going to wipe clean your entire smartphone storage. Note that this guide is great for those of you that have installed a custom ROM on your phones, and now are looking to get rid of it.
Before flashing any Oreo OS factory image device you should read the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Pixel XL devices sold all over the world, except for some devices bought from US and Canadian carriers.
– check here if you’ve bought your Pixel XL from these two countries.
- don’t try to update any other devices with the files found in this post.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options menu.
If you can’t find Developer Options menu, then you will have to enable it first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number settings.
– return to Settings, as Developer Options will be listed there.
Open Developer Options, find USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option, then enable them.
- create backups for all your important files before starting the flashing process, as all the data will be removed in the process.
- we cannot be blamed if you brick your phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- this guide is for advanced users.
- make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before starting installation.
- in case you need any extra help you can tell us in comments below.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the installation process.
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo System Image for Google Pixel XL:
You need to setup the Android ADB and Fastboot usb drivers first before installing anything new on your phone.
Here’s how to setup the Android ADB for your computer:
- download the Platform-Tools.zip from the links below:
– for the Linux OX click here.
– for Windows here.
– for Mac OS here.
- get the file that corresponds your computer’s OS.
- unzip the contents and save them all under the Platform-Tools folder.
- now, download and install the Google USB drivers from here.
Since you’ve completed all the above you can continue to the next part of the tutorial, and learn how to install OREO system image:
- Download the Android 8.0 Oreo factory image file from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
Place the files in the Platform-tools folder.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch a command prompt/ terminal with its address set for this particular directory.
- Connect your Pixel XL to PC via usb cable.
Make sure that your phone is detected by the PC, and then continue to the next part of this post.
- Now, unlock the Bootloader of your Pixel XL using the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm. Continue to the next step when you are done with this.
- Now you can start the installation of Android 8 Oreo system image.
Go to Platform-tools folder.
- Launch the Flash-all.bat installer script. Confirm the system image installation and wait for it to complete.
- When the flashing process is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Android 7.0 Oreo system image for your phone.
If the installation fails to complete, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you do that you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial then you can tell us in comments below.