Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M Canadian model has been rooted using Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root tool , but it did not install any custom Recovery. That’s why I’ve created this post, for users to learn that they can flash CWM or TWRP Recovery using Google Play Store and two applications. This guide is insanely easy to follow and you should be able to flash all the required files in under 2 minutes.
Custom Recoveries allows users to flash new custom ROMs, kernels, custom themes, off-market Android apps or applying factory reset, wipe data, wipe cache, dalvik cache etc. Custom Recovery images can be flashed only for devices that are rooted. Don’t try to use this guide with stock Android firmware as it won’t work.
ROM Manager and GooManager are the applications that you will use in order to flash CWM or TWRP Recovery for your device. Both of these recovery images are similar and you can choose whichever one you want.
The CWM Recovery, or ClockworkMod Recovery, is installed via ROM Manager app and, it is a tool that can be controlled using the phone’s hardware buttons. It not touch-based, but you can opt to flash a Touch version for it using the same program. More about this can be found under its tutorial guide.
The TWRP Recovery, or Team Win Recovery Project, is 100% touch-based and it can be installed using GooManager tool.
Below you can find all the instructions that you need in order to flash one of these Recovery images for your rooted Galaxy S4 phone. If you cannot complete the installation then you can ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to offer you the best viable solution.
How to install CWM Recovery for Galaxy S4 I337M Canada model using ROM Manager:
- Go to ROM Manager Play Store dedicated web page here.
- Press the Install button and wait for the app to complete the installation.
- After the app is installed, open the App drawer, find the ROM Manager icon and launch it.
- Now, tap on the Recovery Setup button.
- After that you need to press where it says ‘ClockworkMod Recovery’. It is located in the ‘Install or Update recovery’ section.
- Confirm that your smartphone is a Galaxy S4 I337M model.
> here you can also choose to install the Touch CWM variant of the recovery. This is optional.
- Press ‘Flash ClockworkMod Recovery’ section and wait for the files to be downloaded and installed.
- When the installation is finished, close ROM Manager.
- Test to see if the CWM Recovery has been installed successfully by reading the instructions at the end of this post.
These were all the steps you had to follow in order to install the ClockworkMod Recovery image for your device.
If you want to flash the TWRP Recovery variant, then you will need to follow the instructions below.
How to install TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S4 I337M Canada model using GooManager:
- Open Google Play Store or click here to get directly to the GooManager’s page.
- Press ‘Install’ and wait for the app to flash on your device.
- Go to App drawer and launch GooManager app.
- Press the ‘menu’ capacitive button of your Galaxy S4.
- Select ‘Install OpenRecoveryScript’ from the drop-down options list.
- Confirm that you wish to install it.
- The phone will now take care of the rest of the process and complete the installation of TWRP Recovery.
Now that you’ve installed a custom Recovery on your device, you will also need to learn how to boot into Recovery Mode. First thing that you need to do is to power off the Galaxy S4 phone completely. After that follow the instructions below:
- press and hold simultaneously the following buttons: Volume Up, Home and Power.
- release the buttons when the screen flickers and wait for the custom Recovery mode to load all its files.
- after you’re done applying any of the CWM / TWRP Recovery tasks, return to its main menu and select ‘Reboot’.
The phone will boot into normal mode. If you have any other questions regarding the install process, or in case you cannot complete the installation of neither tools, then you will have to ask for extra help in comments.