The CyanogenMod 12.1 Stable ROM is now live for all the Moto X 2013 devices. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your smartphone.
CyanogenMod team is based on the AOSP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop releases, but you will find tons of extra elements designed by the CM team. Check the CM blog website here for more info on this new release.
Before starting the installation process you should read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the 2013 Motorola Moto X smartphones.
- your device should be the "ghost" model.
- don't try to use this post for any other different Moto X devices.
- your phone needs to be rooted and it has to run the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery build.
-the installed custom Recovery has to be upgraded to its latest version, so that it will support the latest Android 5.1.1-custom Recovery image.
- in the tutorial part of this article you can find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID ROM Backup and the Factory Reset process.
- the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM is unable to boot in normal mode.
- the 'factory reset' process wipes clean the system memory partition, but you won't see any data missing from the internal storage of your device
- factory resetting the device will remove all the installed apps from your computer.
- you can save data from installed apps using the Helium tool for Android devices.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the device from powering off during the installation process.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this guide is for advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you end up losing any important data in the process.
If you like how the CM 12.1 Android ROM works with you phone, then you will be able to install future new releases using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone menu.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for 2013 Moto X "ghost":
- Download the CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.1.1 ROMs from here.
- Transfer both zip files on to your phone's internal storage.
- after you move the files you can disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the file contents.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's already installed on your device:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore' option.
- TWRP: select 'backup'.
- set a file name for the backup and confirm the process.
- Next, 'factory reset' your smartphone:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- confirm process.
- You can initiate the CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install'option.
- Find the CM 12.1 zip and confirm its installation.
- After the new custom ROM has finished installing all the new files, then you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
- When all the Gapps and CM 12.1 ROM files are flashed on your phone you can reboot your phone in normal mode.
- Use your default Google account in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
NOTE: in case your phone takes too long to load all the new CM 12.1 ROM apps or it enters in a boot loop, then you can try to repeat the whole guide more than once. If the 'optimizing apps' screen appears, then you should wait until this process is done.
Make sure that in case you do repeat the tutorial, then you will make sure not to skip any steps and that your smartphone meets all requirements.
If you need more help completing this guide you can use the comments field below.