The WhatsApp Messenger is one of the most popular instant messaging applications ever released for Android, Blackberry, iOS and Symbian S60 devices. However, since the Google Nexus 7 Wifi tablet cannot use a SIM then, normally, you wouldn't be able to use WhatsApp with it, but, some developers managed to create a work around and allow tablet owners to send and receive text messages via Whatsapp. Read this entire post and you will learn how to successfully download and install the application for your tablet device.
The WhastApp Messenger for Android uses your data plan or WiFi and this means that it should work with your tablet, too. It only needs an active phone number and an application that is linked with it. Note that this means that you cannot use the same phone number that is currently linked with the WhatsApp Messenger account on your primary device.
This hack that allows you to use the WhatsApp Messenger on your Nexus 7 WiFi has been released by an XDA developer, AnonFBI. Read the instructions below and you'll learn how to install WhatsApp on your tablet:
- Download the BlueStacks program for your Windows PC from HERE. This is an Android emulator and you simply need to download it and install it as you'd be doing with any Windows app. When the install is complete you should get to the next step.
- Download the WhatsApp APK file from HERE. This is the 2.8.7326 version build and not the latest release. It is the only version that works currently on the Nexus 7 Wifi.
- Download the SRT AppGuard APK from HERE. This is the tool that will add internet access permissions for WhatApp.
- Connect the tablet PC to your computer and move the WhatsApp and SRT AppGuard APK files on its internal SD card. NOTE: Leave a copy of WhatsApp APK on your PC, too.
- Go to the WhatsApp APK file on your PC and then right click it. Select from the context menu the 'Open with BlueStarcks APK Installer' option. This will add and install WhatsApp to BlueStack emulator.
- Find the WhatsApp APK file using a file explorer on your Nexus 7 tablet. Install the WhatsApp APK.
- Next, install the SRT AppGuard APK. Don't launch WhatsApp.
- Launch the SRT AppGuard and from its main menu choose 'Secure a new app'.
- Now you have to select the WhatApp from the applications list. Click OK when the new screen appears. Some new screen will load and you should simply click OK.
- When the SRT AppGuard has finished to secure WhatsApp, you need to edit the permissions of this app for Nexus 7. Do it by selecting 'Manage your Secure Apps' from the main AppGuard menu. Choose 'WhatsApp'.
- Find the 'Read Phone Status and Identify in the list' option and disable it. Go to the next step.
- Launch the BlueStacks Android emulator on your computer now.
- Click 'My Apps' menu.
- Double click the WhatsApp icon and the app will now launch.
- Click once the 'Agree and continue' option.
- Choose your country from the dropdown list and then you will have to enter a phone number that is active in the 'Phone Number' section. Use a different phone number than the one you're currently using on your primary phone, as you're only allowed by WhatsApp to use a single account for any phone number.
- WhatsApp will now verify the phone number. A 3-digit verification code will be sent via SMS. When the text message arrives you need to close BlueStacks app on your computer.
- Go to the WhatsApp app on your Nexus 7. Launch it and then click the 'accept' button. Select your country code and make sure that you enter the same phone number that you used with BlueStacks at step 16.
- A 'SMS Verification Error' will appear and then you need to select 'Call Me' option to verify the WhatsApp via phone. Another error message will be shown and now you can click the 'Options' field.
- Select 'Enter Code' and then enter the 3-digit code you received after completing the actions listed in step 17.
- That should be all. Your phone number and WhatsApp for Nexus 7 should now be verified and working.
Test the application and tell us if you find any errors while using it.
In case you cannot complete the installation then you should ask for more help in comments.