Asus Zenfone 2 is a great Android smartphone and if you would like to tweak its performances, then you will be tempted in applying various custom operations. While these procedures will ensure better performances, some unexpected problems might also be issued. Thus, if you somehow managed to brick your Zenfone 2, don’t panic and use this step by step guide in order to learn how to manually fix your Android based device and how to get it back to stock Android OS.
How can you end up in bricking your Asus Zenfone 2? Well, as mentioned, for tweaking your Android device you are prompted in applying some complex, and unofficial, operations. Usually these procedures are referring to: ensuring root access, unlocking the bootloader, removing bloatware, installing custom recovery images, updating with custom ROMs, overclocking the CPU, make Nandroid backups and lot more. As pointed out, these operations will power up the performances of your phone, but if you somehow mess something up, a soft brick might be issued.
So, first of all, I am talking about software related issues. Unfortunately, if you manage to hard brick your Asus Zenfone 2, then I can’t help you; in that case you should take your device back to service in order to get the help that you need (do note that you might have to pay for the technical assistance if the warranty can’t be reclaimed).
Therefore, if after trying to unlock or to customize your handset (the warranty usually get lost while you apply unofficial operations, so learning how to manually fix software related problems might become a life saver) you notice malfunctions, then you have to try to fix everything. What types of problems can be resolved with this tutorial? In a few words, almost any type, as getting your Asus Zenfone 2 back to stock Android OS resolved boot loops, lags, bugs, force close errors, battery drain issues, heating situations, screen freeze and even total blackouts.
So, what can you obtain by completing this step by step guide? Basically, you will downgrade your Zenfone 2 back to stock and official Android OS. Ensuring this operation will also ensure a clean and stable Android system, thus all the software related problems will just be removed. Also, root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and all the other factory and default restrictions reinstalled on your device. Bottom line, in the end, you will once more be able to receive and apply OTAs on your won Zenfone 2.
Well, what do you say, are you ready to begin the unbrick process? If you are, then before doing anything else, try to apply the lines from the following list (only if that’s possible – for example, if you can still somehow use your device).
- Backup your Asus Zenfone 2 data as during the unbrick process everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory will be removed.
- For the backup you can use a cloud storage platform, different backup and restore apps from Google Play, a computer or even a SD card.
- Also, on the backup, you should consider in saving everything that means something for you; mainly you should take care of contacts, call logs, text messages, internet settings, images, videos, audio files, saved passwords and so on.
- On your phone you also have to gain developer rights and enable USB debugging option.
- For developer rights: go to “menu – settings – about phone”; once there, start taping several times on built number until the developer option message is being displayed.
- For USB debugging: after ensuring the up mentioned step, access “menu – settings – developer options” and from there check the USB debugging box.
- Don’t make anything else, without charging your Asus Zenfone 2. It is important to plug in the charger as if your phone gets turned off in the middle of the unbrick process, it might get hard bricked.
- You need to use a computer; on that device you have to search for security features and then temporarily disable antivirus related programs – these tools might interfere with your work.
- On your computer Android SDK must be ensured; if not, install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Moreover, on your PC the Asus Zenfone 2 USB drivers must be flashed.
How to Unbrick Asus Zenfone 2 and go back to Stock Android OS
- The first thing to do is to download the stock firmware for your own Asus Zenfone 2; thus, go to this page if you have the Z008 model, or access this page if you own the Z00A variant of the mentioned device.
- Now, unzip the system.zip firmware file on desktop – on the resulted folder you should have the following files: system.img, boot.img, droidboot.img and recovery.img.
- Connect your Asus Zenfone 2 with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- From the folder on where you have unzipped the firmware file, run a command prompt window: press and hold Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.
- In the cmd window enter the following command: “adb reboot bootloader” – your phone will automatically reboot into fastboot mode.
- Next, in the same cmd widow, type the following commands (press enter after each line): “fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img”; “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”; “fastboot flash boot boot.img”; “fastboot flash system system.img”.
- Wait while all the processes are being completed; when done, execute the following commands: “fastboot format userdata” and “fastboot format cache”- you will basically make a hard reset and clear app data cache.
- When done, on the same cmd window type “fastboot reboot” and wait while your Zenfone 2 gets back to stock Android firmware.
Congratulations, you managed to unbrick your Asus Zenfone 2 and go back to stock Android software. Thus, enjoy a stable and smooth Android OS and also use the comments field from below in order to tell us how things worked for you and for your device.