Unlocking the Photon Q Bootloader should be completed easy. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to properly unlock the bootloader of your smartphone. Read all instructions and make sure that you won't skip any steps I've listed.
Use this tutorial only if you're an advanced Android user. Unlocking the bootloader of your Motorola Photon Q allows you to root your device and after that you can install new custom ROMs and other customization tools. Such files allows you to overhaul the entire Android OS for your device. Before starting to unlock the device, you will first have to read the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE model number XT897. Do not use this guide with any other smartphone as you will end up bricking that other device.
- IMPORTANT: This guide will wipe all the data from your phone. That is why you should move all your important files on your PC.
- The warranty will be revoked also.
- Make sure that the battery of your device has enough power left, so that the phone won't power off during the installation.
- Download and install ANDROID SDK from HERE. Install it on your Windows computer.
- Download and install the Motorola USB drivers for your computer from HERE.
- Disable all antivirus applications from running on your PC. This will prevent them from interfering with the bootloader unlock process.
- Don't use this tutorial if you're a novice and you don't know what you're doing.
- Backup all your important data.
- Don't blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the phone. Also, we cannot be held responsible for losing any important data in the process.
- Read the entire tutorial and ask for more help in our comments section in case you cannot complete all actions with success.
Now that you know all of the above, you should move to the next part of this post. Don't skip any steps I've listed below. If you can't complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to unlock bootloader for the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897:
- Open the Motorola bootloader web site. Click 'PROCEED' and then create an account.
- Connect your Motorola Photon Q to your computer. Wait for all USB drivers to install.
- Go to the Android SDK folder and open 'platform tools' directory. If the 'fastboot.exe' file is not present in this folder, then you will need to download it from here.
- Go to 'SDK/ Platform-Tools' folder and open a command prompt window. It can be done by holding SHIFT and at the same time right-clicking on the folder's white space. Select 'Open command prompt window here'.
- Now you will need to enter the following command line: adb reboot bootloader
- When the Bootloader mode loads you need to enter this: fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- A Device ID for your Photon Q phone will appear. Enter that particular ID on to Motorola's web site.
> NOTE: In order to do this correctly you will have to copy only the characters without the 'INFO' text. So, you should create a .txt file and copy all 4 lines numbers / letters without the 'INFO' text. Enter them to the TXT file successively until you obtain the final code. That's the code that you have to enter at the Motorola site in the 'Verify Your Device can be Unlocked' box.
- If everything worked a button with 'Request Unlock Key' text will show up.
- An email will be sent to you containing the 'unlock key'. Open the email and leave it like that.
- Your device should remain connected to your PC in Fastboot mode. Now you will have to return to the command prompt window.
- Enter the following command line: fastboot oem unlock <UNIQUE_KEY>
- the <unique_key> is the code received in the email so you have to enter that one. Press ENTER.
- Now the bootloader of your Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE has been successfully unlocked.
- The phone should restart and then boot into normal mode.
- That's it, disconnect it from PC when the process is complete.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you should start to look for custom ROMs and other customization files to improve your Android experience.
In case you want to root your device, then you can use our guide HERE. This guide will install the CWM Recovery also, which means that you can start the search for custom ROMs right away and use the ClockworkMod Recovery to flash them on your Photon Q device.
I hope that you managed to complete the tutorial and that the bootloader of your device has been unlocked. If you have any other questions, then please feel free to post them below, in our comments section. We will try to offer the best solutions for your problems.