The CyanogenMod 14.1 Nightly builds are now rolling out for the Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013 models.
You can use this post and learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your tablet device.
The Android 7.0 / 7.1 Nougat upgrades won't roll out officially for the 2013 models of the Nexus 7 tablets, which is why you should use a custom ROM build like CM 14.1 in order to get the latest possible Android features on your device.
Before starting the installation process you should check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the 2013 Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi devices.
- do not use this post for other different Nexus 7 models.
- your tablet needs to be rooted and it has to run the latest TWRP Custom Recovery image.
- the installed custom Recovery has to be upgraded to its latest possible version, so that it will support the installation of Android 7.1 custom ROM.
- in the tutorial part of this post you can find two extra preparation steps like NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restored point for the OS currently installed on your tablet.
- the Factory Reset process wipes clean the system partition, it removes all the installed apps and the previous ROM build.
- the Factory Reset shouldn't delete any data from the internal storage of your device.
- if you wish to save data from installed apps you can use Helium tool for Android.
- read the whole post first and do not skip any steps.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- check the battery charge level of your device, there needs to be over 50% charge left before the tablet powers off.
Now that you've read all that you can get to the next step.
How to flash CM 14.1 Nightly Android 7.1 ROM for Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013:
Note that the Nightly builds are not stable releases, so you should expect to find some bugs and errors while testing them.
- Download CM 14.1 Nightly zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 7.1 ROM zip from here.
- Move both zip files to your tablet's internal storage.
- do not unzip these files.
- disconnect the tablet from computer when these files are copied on your device.
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Boot the Nexus 7 2013 in Custom TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create a complete NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's already installed on your device by selecting the 'Backup' option.
Select the files you wish to save and confirm process.
- Now you can Factory Reset the device: select 'WIPE' option. Confirm.
- Start CM 14.1 Nightly installation by pressing INSTALL button. Find the CM 14.1 Nightly zip and confirm the installation process.
- don't press any buttons until all these files are done flashing.
- When the custom ROM is installed you can flash the Gapps zip in the same way.
- Reboot your Nexus 7 in normal mode when all the new files are done installing.
- Use your usual Google account info in order to unlock all the CM 14.1 Nougat features.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the installation.
You can continue installing future new CM 14.1 Nightly Nougat ROM builds for your Nexus 7 2013 tablets using the CyanogenMod Updates menu from under About Phone Settings tab. If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.