SK Telecom has released the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update for all their Galaxy A8 users.
This official update is being rolled out by Samsung in stages, it means that not all the users are getting Marshmallow at the same time as others. If you’re looking to manually upgrade your phone, then you can use the Odin app.
This tool is great for those that are looking to restore their phones to stock Android, too, as you can do it in the same way as you did with the Galaxy A8 device. Before starting the installation process of this new official firmware you need to check these guidelines:
- use this post only for the Korean Samsung Galaxy A8 SM-A800S devices.
– do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
– check your device model under Settings> About Phone and make sure that the A800S version is listed there.
- download Samsung USB drivers from here.
– install the usb drivers on your computer.
- for the installation of Android 6.0.1 software updates you will have to use the Odin app.
– for Odin to work with your PC you need to install the usb drivers above, and to make sure that USB Debugging is enabled from your phone’s Developer Options.
– Developer Options might be hidden, go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options, enable it and then find and enable USB Debugging option, too.
- the update can be easily installed over rooted firmware, but you will lose root access.
– any custom Recovery will be replaced by a stock Recovery image.
– if the firmware is only rooted, and it is still a Stock Android firmware, then the update will be applied without removing any other data files.
- if your Galaxy A8 sports a custom ROM, then you can install the new official firmware using Odin, but a ‘factory reset’ is mandatory, as you need to apply it after the installation of Android 6.0.1 is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
– factory resetting the smartphone will wipe clean the system partition, but it won’t delete any data from internal storage.
– the ‘factory reset’ process won’t delete any data from the internal storage data, as you will see only the custom ROM files and installed apps removed.
- in case your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you won’t see any data files removed from the device, and you can get straight to the installation part of this post.
- this guide is destined to be used by advanced users only, as we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the whole post, don’t skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level of your device, there has to be at least 50% charge left before the device powers off.
These were the steps you had to go over before starting the update process.
If you don’t want to install the new update manually, then you can choose to wait until Samsung pushes the new firmware OTA Update notification. You can manually check for new firmware updates by going to Settings> Software Info> Download Updates Manually menu.
If a new firmware update is ready for download you can confirm the process and your phone will complete the update automatically.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official Update for Korea Galaxy A8 A800S:
- Download the A800SKSU1BPG2 Android 6.0.1 update archive from here.
- Extract the archived contents of this new file and save them on your PC.
– save the files on your PC.
– you will obtain the A800SKSU1BQA2 tar.md5 updating file.
– this is the file you need to load in Odin and flash.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
– unzip the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
– press Volume DOWN + Home + Power buttons.
– release them when a warning screen loads, then press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Launch the Odin app.
- Use the usb cable to connect your phone with the PC via usb cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the phone.
– if the device is not recognized you have to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- In Odin click the AP button. Find and load the A800SKSU1BPG2 tar.md5 update file in Odin.
- Press START when ready to begin the installation of Android 6.0.1 update.
- After the update is done you can see the confirmation alert shown by Odin, the phone will also restart.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your phone once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 update for your Korean Galaxy A8 model.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by Odin, then you will have to repeat the whole tutorial once more. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps, and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS alert is shown by Odin, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will have to ‘factory reset’ the device.
The ‘factory reset’ steps are below and you should apply them if you’ve installed the official update over a custom ROM, too. The ‘factory reset’ wipes clean the system partition, but it won’t delete any data from internal storage.
Here’s how to factory reset your device:
- power it off.
- boot Recovery Mode.
– it can be done by pressing Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when Recovery Mode menu loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot device in normal mode and you’re done.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments. Make sure to list all the steps you took, and where you got stuck during installation; we will try to come up with solutions for whatever your problem might be consisting of.