The time for Android 4.0 ICS updates is upon us if we are to keep track of the rate at which these updates are arriving for various smart phones out there. Some Android 4.0 ICS updates are official, but those are quite scarce right now while the majority of the updates come as custom ROM’s made from the leaks of the official updates. This is an update of the latter kind and it comes with the codename FC 15. The FC 14 leaked ROM had a lot of bugs which have been fixed in this version, but keep in mind that some minor hiccups are to be expected here and there. There is still no word on the ETA for the official ICS update on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, so if you fancy trying the latest software you will have to go on the non official way.
There are a couple of drawbacks that come with updating your Android to a custom ROM as all of them require rooting. Therefore, rooting and updating your Samsung Epid 4G Touchwith custom firmware will result in a void warranty. We would also want to show you our disclaimer notice before proceeding any further: As with any software that is not our own creation, we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us. This should not however turn you from this guide, as the process has been thoroughly tested.
Before going to the part dedicated to the update process we should remember that updating any Android device with a custom ROM comes at the expense of our personal data. This data will be deleted once the new ROM is installed so we have prepared a couple of apps and some basic procedures to make sure that it can be restored once the update is successful. Please take a look at them below:
- Text messages – We will back them up with this application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files - Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
One of the safest places to store your data if you are the on the go type of updater is the microSD card. There are also some hardware related requirements that need to be met in order to guarantee a flawless installation of the Android ICS update on the Epic 4G:
- Charge your device to full or to a minimum of 60% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the install process.
- Enable the USB debugging in your Samsung Epic 4G Touch. This can be done from the following: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
- You need to disable the anti virus as well as any other security software that is running on your PC because these tend to block some critical parts of the updating program.
The second part of this tutorial is actually the hard part, as it covers the whole flashing process. Many people tend to think that flashing your phone is a risky and dangerous business, but if done properly it actually poses less of a risk that installing an app. While flashing from a PC may be a little bit riskier it is much easier compare to the process of flashing from within your smart phone.
- We will firstly download the FC 15 ICS Package to your computer and then we will proceed with opening the “SPH-D710.FC15_CL256308_ROOTED-oc-sfx” self extracting archive. On open you will be asked to provide a path for the extracted files. We recommend using your desktop as it is the easiest path for the user.
- The second step involves opening the file “SPH-D710.FC15_CL256308_ROOTED-OneClick” which you have earlier extracted to your desktop.
- The third step is a bit complicated as it involves powering off your Samsung Epic 4G Touch and then rebooting it into Download mode. You can do so by pressing the Volume Up key, the Menu Key and the Power On key simultaneously after the device has been shut down. You will be able to recognize the Download mode by the green Droid working.
- The fourth step is fairly simple and as such you only need to connect your Samsung Epic 4G Touch in Download mode to your PC which is already running the Odin program we opened earlier with the original USB cable. It may take a couple of seconds for the program to recognize your device so you can check when it is ready by looking at the color of the ID : COM window. If it is yellow you are ready to proceed. If the ID: COM windows does not run yellow you should check if you have installed the USB drivers for the Epic 4G Touch and if you have enabled the Samsung KIES option on your device from the “Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings” path.
- The fifth step is the last one and it is easiest as all you have to do is press the Start button in Odin and wait 5 to 10 minutes for the updating process to finish.
You will know when the update process has been completed successfully when your Samsung Epic 4G Touch reboots to the normal home screen. If the update process fails at some point do not panic as all you have to do is pull out and reinsert the battery and then try again. If it completes without a hitch you have successfully updates your Epic 4G Touch to the latest build of Android 4.0 ICS.