Do you want to experience Lollipop OS on your own Sony Xperia SP? Well, even though Sony will no longer provide official OTA updates for your device, you can still enjoy the latest Android system right on your own smartphone. How to do so? As you can already tell, all you have to do is to install CM 12 custom ROM firmware. So, that’s exactly what you can learn from this tutorial: how to update your Sony Xperia SP to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS with CM12 software.
But is CM 12 stable enough for your Sony Xperia SP? First of all you need to know that this is not the Nightly built of CM12. The ROM is developed by those of xda-developers (we must thank them for this step by step guide) and it is based on stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS and on other previous CM releases. Anyway, the ROM is still in development stage, which means that you might still find minor bugs and other software related issues in the default system. As you will see below, along with the firmware you will also have to flash some “fixes” packages in order to obtain a stable and smooth Lollipop system.
So, bottom line, this CM 12 built is stable enough for a daily use on your Sony Xperia SP. Of course, further versions of CM12 will be provided and you will be prompted with new updates as soon as those of xda-developers manage to resolve all the issues that are and will be reported.
Since the Android Lollipop OS is not fully stable, before flashing CM 12 custom ROM, make a Nandroid backup on your Xperia SP. By completing this operation you will be able to save (and restore when required) the current ROM that runs on your smartphone. Therefore, if after applying the guidelines from below you will find the Lollipop firmware buggy, you will be able to use the Nandroid backup for restoring the stock Android OS back to your Xperia SP.
This guide is complex and also risky. You are about to apply a custom ROM, which represents an unofficial Android update, on your Sony Xperia SP. CM12 ROM has nothing to do with Google or with Sony, so if you install the firmware, you will also lose the warranty of your phone. That means, you won’t be able to reclaim the warranty of something bad happens or if you manage to brick your Android device – you will either have to pay for the technical assistance or try to manually fix your bricked Android smartphone.
CM12 can be installed only if a custom recovery image is running on your Xperia SP. In that matter I recommend you to get and flash CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone. Do note that a custom recovery image can be flashed only if your Xperia SP is rooted. Therefore, first ensure root on your Xperia SP and then install a custom recovery image.
Previously I have prompted you with a Nandroid backup. Now, along with saving the current ROM you should also take care of your personal data, info and accounts. You see, during the update process a wipe will be applied which means that the internal storage system of your phone will be erased. Thus, the best will be to previously backup your data for saving your contacts, call logs, text messages, market apps, images, videos or audio files.
After that you need to take care of general pre requisites. These pre requisites are referring to the following tasks:
- Make sure you can use a computer or notebook; ensure that your Sony Xperia SP and its USB cable are near you.
- On the computer you will download the CM 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware along with other required files – the best will be to temporarily deactivate security protection from your PC before doing so.
- Of course, at some point a connection between your phone and your computer will have to be established. In order to properly ensure this connection, now you have to check the USB debugging option on your device – just navigate towards “menu – settings – developer options”.
- Charge your phone before doing anything else; plug in the charger especially if the battery status shows less than 50% power left. Do so as if your Xperia SP gets turned off while you try to install CM12, your phone might get bricked.
- Apply the steps from below only if your own the Sony Xperia SP. Do that because this tutorial and the CM 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update are compatible only with the mentioned Android smartphone.
How to Update Sony Xperia SP with CM 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the CM 12 update file from this page; then from here download Google Apps package.
- Also download Voice Calls Fix (here), Data Fix (here) and WiFi Hotspot Fix (here).
- Save all these files on your computer’s desktop.
- Don’t unzip any of those files.
- Connect your Xperia SP with your computer; establish the USB connection by using the USB cord.
- Transfer all the downloaded files from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- When done, remove the USB cable and reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, select “wipe data factory reset”. Then choose “wipe cache partition”. Next, pick “advanced” and choose “wipe dalvik cache”.
- From main menu of recovery now select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the CM12 firmware file and flash Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS on your Sony Xperia SP.
- Repeat that step and install all the other files.
- In the end, go to main menu of recovery and from there select “reboot system now”.
There you have it. That’s how you can install CM12 custom ROM on your Sony Xperia SP. So, test the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop software and see if there are bugs or other software related issues. In the end, share all your impressions with us by using the comments field from below.