The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update is now live for all the Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8.0 models.
If you do not want to wait for Verizon to push the new software update in your region, then you are free to install it using the info in this post. These Android 6.0.1 updates are being rolled out in stages by Verizon, which means that only a small number of Galaxy Tab E users are going to get this upgrade in the following days.
The update can be easily installed using the Odin app, a small tool designed to help advanced Samsung users flash new software updates manually without waiting for the OTA files to arrive. Before starting the installation process you should check the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8.0 tablets.
- the model number of this device should be SM - T377V.
- check the version and model of your tablet under Settings> About Device.
- do not try to update other different devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download, then install the Samsung USB drivers from here on your computer.
- for the installation of this new official Android 6.0.1 software you will need to use the Odin app.
- for ODIN to detect the tablet and complete the update you have to install the usb drivers above.
- also, ODIN requires you to enable USB Debugging from your tablet's Developer Options menu.
- the Developer Options menu might be hidden, but you can enable it by going to Settings> About Device and tapping 7 times on the Build Number text.
- now you can return to Settings, scroll down and there you will find the Developer Options menu.
- enable Developer Options, open it and then find the USB Debugging option.
- if you wish to install the update over rooted, but stock firmware, then you need to know that root access will not survive the update.
- also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can flash the new update over custom ROMs, too.
- if you do that then you have to 'factory reset' the tablet after the update is done.
- the 'factory reset' process wipes clean the system partition removing the old custom ROM, and allowing your tablet to boot in normal mode after the official Android 6.0.1 software is installed.
- factory resetting the device won't delete any data from the internal storage of your device.
- the factory reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- read the entire post and make sure that you won't be skipping any steps.
- the tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- check the battery charge level of your tablet and make sure that there is at least 50% power left before the device switches off completely.
If you don't want to install the update manually, then it would be best for you to wait until Verizon pushes the new OTA Update in your region automatically. You can search for new firmware files by going to Settings> About Device> Software Update menu.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8.0:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 T377VVRU1BPD6 archive file here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your computer.
- you should obtain the T377VVRU1BPD6 tar.md5 updating file.
- this is the file that you will need to use in order to update your tablet to a new Android OS.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
- extract the Odin contents and save them on your computer.
- Power off the tablet.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Volume Down + Power buttons pressed at the same time should do the trick.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to computer via USB Cable. Wait for ODIN to add the tablet.
- if no device is detected you need to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Go to ODIN's "Options" tab and make sure that the 'Re-Partition' option is disabled.
- don't edit other default Odin settings.
- Click the AP button in ODIN.
- Find and load the T377VVRU1BPD6 tar.md5 software updating file.
- Confirm the installation by pressing the START button in ODIN.
- don't press any buttons until all the new files are done installing on your device.
- the installation should take a while before it completes.
- When Android 6.0.1 is successfully installed on your tablet you should see the PASS alert shown by ODIN and the tablet should reboot in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new official firmware is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Unplug the tablet from computer when a 'optimizing apps' screen loads on your Galaxy Tab E.
- Use the default login info in order to complete installation.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by ODIN or in case other error is blocking you from completing update, then you will need to repeat the tutorial more than once. In case you do repeat installation you have to make sure that your tablet meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps listed above.
If ODIN displays the PASS alert, but your Galaxy TAB E 8.0 tablet enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you should 'factory reset' the device.
The 'factory reset' process below should be applied by those that have installed the new Android 6.0.1 Update over a custom ROM, too.
Here's how to 'factory reset' the tablet:
- power it off.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Volume UP + Power.
- select the 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot your device in normal mode.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 software for your tablet device. If you need more help completing the tutorial you can tell us in comments, as we will try to come up with solutions for you.