Samsung has released the official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA Update for all Galaxy tab 4 8.0 LTE users, but not all of them are getting the new firmware at the same time.
The tutorial below can be used as an alternative upgrading method, as you will have to use Odin3 v3.10.6 app for Samsung devices in order to flash a brand new official update. Android 5.1.1 Lollipop brings bug fixes and stability improvements for your Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE tablets.
Before you can start the installation process you should read the following guidelines:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE tablets.
- your tablet's model number should be SM - T335.
- do not try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- the model number of your tablet can be checked under Settings> About Device menu.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- after you've installed the usb drivers you will surely be able to successfully connect your tablet to your PC.
- for the updating process you will use Odin3 v3.10.6 application, which is why you need to have the official Samsung usb drivers installed on your PC.
- disconnect Samsung KIES and any antivirus apps from running while Odin3 v3.10.6 app is opened.
- these applications are going to try and block Odin from flashing any firmware files on your tablet.
- your tablet should have the USB Debugging option enable in Developer Options menu.
- if you can't find Developer Options, then you should go to Settings> About Device and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- now Developer Options is going to appear under Settings menu, open it and find USB Debugging in order to enable it.
- the USB debugging will help your tablet detect the PC and allow it to flash the update files.
- if your tablet is rooted, then the updating process will revoke its root access.
- any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device will be replaced by a stock Recovery.
- if you haven't rooted nor installed a custom Recovery on your device, then this piece of information doesn't concern your device.
- in case you are installing the new firmware update file over a custom ROM, then an extra 'factory reset' step will have to be applied after the Android 5.1.1 update is complete.
- the 'factory reset' steps are listed at the end of this article.
- 'factory reset' means that you will lose the system memory partition, while no files are removed from the internal storage.
- the system partition is where the previous ROM has stored all of its files.
- if your tablet is 100% stock Android, then you won't lose any files during update and you can continue straight to the installation process below.
- note that this guide is for advanced users, we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data in the process, nor in case you end up bricking your device.
- check the battery charge level of your device, make sure that it is over 40%, it will prevent your device from powering down during installation.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps.
Since you've read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 5.1.1 Lollipop T335XXU1BOF8 Update for Samsung GALAXY Tab4 8.0 LTE:
- Download the update zip file from here.
- After you've downloaded the file you can extract its contents.
- you will find a T335XXU1BOF8 file with the tar.md5 extension, you shouldn't extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 from here.
- after the download is done you can extract the archived files.
- Now you can switch off your tablet.
- Next, boot it in Download Mode.
- you can do it by pressing Volume Down, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time until the Download Mode menu loads.
- Launch the Odin executable on your PC.
- Connect your tablet to your PC via USB Cable.
- wait for Odin to detect the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE device.
- if the tablet is not recognized you can re-install the usb drivers.
- if it was detected you can get straight to the next step.
- Go back to Odin, click on the "AP" button.
- Find the T335XXU1BOF8 Android 5.1.1 firmware tar.md5 file.
Load the file in Odin.
- Make sure that the 'Re-Partition' option is disabled in Odin, then continue to the next step.
- Hit the START button when you are ready to begin the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update installation.
- don't press any buttons until the flashing process is completed.
- When the Android 5.1.1 is installed you will notice that your Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE has rebooted.
- unplug the device from PC when the "updating apps" screen appears during first boot process.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain complete control over your tablet once again.
I hope that you've managed to complete the update without any major problems. In case you've stumbled upon any problems, then you should check the extra info below.
If everything went according to plan and you've updated your tablet, then you can close this post. The extra help below should also be checked by those that have installed the new update over a custom ROM.
In case Odin says that the update has failed, or it has gotten stuck at some random screen, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure that you won't skip any steps and that your tablet meets all the requirements in case you retry installation.
If Odin has shown the 'PASS' alert, but your tablet is stuck at the boot animation screen or it has entered in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try the 'factory reset' instructions below.
The 'factory reset' steps need to be applied by those that have installed the update over a custom ROM, too. Here's how to do it:
- power off the tablet.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Volume Down, Home and Power buttons pressed at the same time until the Recovery Mode menu appears.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option.
- reboot the tablet in normal mode and that would be all.