The Galaxy Tab S T707V devices can be upgraded to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official using the instructions listed in this post.
These updates are usually rolled out in stages by Samsung, but there are some users that are still waiting for the new firmware files to arrive in your region. If you don’t want to wait for the official update to arrive over-the-air in your region, then you can flash all the new files with the Odin app.
The new update doesn’t
The Odin tool can be used to upgrade Galaxy Tab S Verizon tablets that are currently sporting the Android custom ROMs, but you will have to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ step after installation is done. Before starting the flashing process of this new ROM you should be checking the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your device, nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- this tutorial should be used only for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab S SM-T707V.
– check the version of your tablet under Settings> About Device and make sure that the correct number is listed as default.
- download the Samsung USB drivers from here.
– install the USB drivers on your PC.
– this usb driver will allow your device to be detected by the PC when these are connected through usb cable and Odin app.
- for the installation process you will use the Odin app.
– for Odin to work on your computer you will first need to install the usb drivers above, and to make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on your tablet’s Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options is not shown you have to unhide it: go to Settings> About Device and tap seven times on the Build Number section.
– go back to Settings, open Developer Options and find the USB Debugging option to enable it.
- in case your tablet is rooted you can complete the update easily, but you will lose the root access completely.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can install the Android 6.0.1 official update with Odin over an Android custom ROM, but you have to factory reset your device after installation is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ process will wipe clean the system partition, it will remove the custom ROM completely and force your device to boot in normal mode.
– factory resetting the device won’t remove any files from the internal storage of your tablet.
- if your Verizon Galaxy Tab S runs 100% stock firmware, then you won’t be losing any files and you will be able to complete the update without any problems.
- check the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- your tablet’s battery charge level is over 50%, so that the tablet won’t power off during the first boot process of Android 6.0.1 firmware.
If you don’t want to manually install the update, then you can search for new firmware files by going to Settings> Software updates> Download Updates Manually. If there is any new firmware ready to download you need to simply confirm the process and your device will take care of the process automatically.
If you want to manually flash the update, then you should check the tutorial below.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Verizon Galaxy Tab S T707V:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 firmware update from here.
- Extract the archived contents and save them on your computer.
– you will obtain the T707VVRU1CPH4 tar.md5 firmware file.
– don’t extract the tar.md5 archive, as that is the one you have to load in Odin and use it to update the tablet.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
– unzip the file.
- Power off the device.
- Boot your tablet in Download Mode: press Volume Down + Power buttons, then press Volume Up when the warning screen loads on your device.
- Launch the Odin exe.
- Connect your tablet with the computer.
– wait for Odin to detect the device, then get to the next step.
– if no device is added by Odin, then you will have to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- In Odin click the Options tab. Make sure that ‘re-partition’ is disabled.
– if that was already disabled you can get to the next step.
– do not edit other default Odin settings.
- Go back to Odin, click AP
- Find and load the T707VVRU1CPH4 tar.md5 firmware file in Odin.
- Press START.
– now wait for the update to be completed by Odin.
- After update is done you can see the PASS alert in Odin.
– you will see the phone rebooting.
- Unplug your tablet from PC when the update is done, then use your default login info in order to regain control over your device.
I hope you’ve managed to complete the update, but in case you cannot finish installing the Android 6.0.1 update with Odin, then you need to check the instructions below. Feel free to list any cool new features that you’ve found while testing the new firmware. If you need extra help completing this guide, then you can tell us in comments.
If the update was applied with success you can close this post.
If you’ve encountered any trouble installing the new update, then you should check the extra info posted below.
If Odin shows the FAIL alert or any other error, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to check the guidelines above the tutorial, make sure that your tablet is supported, and that you won’t skip any steps.
If the PASS alert is shown in Odin, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you have to ‘factory reset’ the tablet.
The ‘factory reset’ steps are listed below and you should factory reset the tablet in case you were running a Custom ROM on your tablet, too. Here’s how to factory reset your device:
- power off the tablet.
- now boot it in Recovery Mode.
– this can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power at the same time.
– release the buttons when the recovery screen loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below. Make sure to list all steps you took and where you got stuck, so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution.