Check this tutorial if you want to learn how to flash the new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update manually for your Galaxy A5 2016 device.
These updates are done by Samsung in stages and not all users are getting them at the same time as others. The update comes with a brand new firmware bump, new features and improvements that should offer all 2016 Galaxy A5 users better Android experience.
For the updating process you will use the Odin app, a small tool designed to help Samsung users upgrade their phones manually without waiting for these to arrive over-the-air in their region.
Check the guidelines below before starting the installation of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on you device:
- use the tutorial only for the 2016 model of the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone.
- the model number of your phone need to be SM - A510F.
- check the version of your phone under Settings> About Phone section.
- do not attempt to update any other models with the files that you will find in this post.
- download the following Samsung usb drivers here and install them on your PC.
- without the usb drivers your phone can't connect with Odin app.
- the Odin app needs you to update the Samsung usb drivers and for the USB Debugging option to be enabled under Developer Options section.
- if you can't find Developer Options, then you should go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- the Developer Options will now show up under Settings, open it and find USB Debugging to enable it.
- you can install the new official update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won't survive the update process.
- if you have installed a custom Recovery, then you will see it replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can install the new update using ODIN even over custom ROMs.
- for your phone to be able to boot in normal mode after the update is done you have to 'factory reset' the device.
- the 'factory reset' process wipes the system partition, removes the old custom ROM and it allows your phone to boot in normal mode.
- factory resetting the phone won't delete any data from the internal storage of your device.
- if your Galaxy A5 2016 device is running 100% stock Android firmware, then you should get to the next part of this post right away.
- check your phone's battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the device switches off completely, as it will prevent the phone from powering off while the new Android 6.0.1 ROM boots in normal mode.
- this is a tutorial that has to be used by advanced users only, we won't be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
In case you are unsure about using ODIN to update your phone, then you can choose to wait until Samsung pushes the new update in your region instead.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update manually for 2016 Galaxy A5 A510F:
- Download the Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 firmware file from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your computer.
- you will get the A510FXXU2BPF9 tar.md5 firmware update file.
- do not extract the files from the tar.md5 archive.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
- extract the Odin files on your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Now boot it in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your computer now.
- Use the usb cable to connect the Galaxy A5 to your PC.
- wait for ODIN to detect the device.
- if no phone is detected you can reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Return to Odin, open the Options tab and make sure that the 're-partition' option is disabled.
- don't edit other default Odin settings.
- In ODIN click the AP button. You will be asked to find and locate the firmware updating file.
- Find A510FXXU2BPF9 tar.md5 file extracted in step 2 and load it in ODIN.
- Confirm the update by hitting the START button.
- don't press any buttons until all the new files are done installing on your device.
- When the update is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN and your Galaxy A5 device is going to reboot in normal mode.
- the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the "optimizing apps" screen loads and then use your default login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update manually for your Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 device.
If installation was completed successfully you can close this tutorial, as you're done and your phone will boot in normal mode successfully.
In case the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps in the process.
If the PASS alert is shown by your phone, but your device enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will be forced to 'factory reset' your phone.
The 'factory reset' steps are listed below, you should apply these if you've installed the Android 6.0.1 official update over a custom ROM too. Here's how to 'factory reset' your phone and force it to boot in normal mode:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select the 'wipe data/ factory reset' option.
- reboot phone and you're done.