Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update is live and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the new update manually.
These updates are rolled out OTA (over-the-air) and it will take a while before all Galaxy S6 G928G users will receive it in their region. If you don’t want to wait for the files to arrive over the air, then you should install them using the Odin app.
Before starting the installation of this new official firmware you should check the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ models.
– your phone’s model has to be SM – G928G.
– check the version of your device under Settings> About Phone.
- don’t attempt to update any other different devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download Samsung USB drivers here and then install them on you computer.
- the new Android 6.0.1 update can be flashed manually using the Odin app.
– for Odin to work on your PC you need to install the usb drivers above and to enable USB Debugging from your phone’s Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options doesn’t shown up under Settings, then you should enable it by going to Settings> About Phone section and tapping on the Build Number section seven times in a row.
– return to Settings, scroll down and there you should now find Developer Options: open it, enable it and then enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash the official Marshmallow updates over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your phone is going to be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can install the new update through Odin over custom ROMs, too, but you have to ‘factory reset’ the phone after that.
– the ‘factory reset’ process wipes clean the system partition, but it won’t delete any data from internal storage.
– factory reset is going to delete the custom ROM completely.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
- if your smartphone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can get to the tutorial part of this post right away, as no data will be lost during the manual update.
- read the whole post first and do not skip any steps.
- this is a guide that has to be used by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- verify that your phone’s battery charge level is over 50% to prevent it from switching off during the installation process of Android 6.0.1 update.
If you are unsure about installing the new firmware on your device you should wait until Samsung pushes the new firmware in your region.
You can also check for new firmware files by going to Settings> About Phone> Software Upgrade section of your phone. If there is any new firmware file ready to download you need to make sure you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network to avoid going over your mobile data plan.
The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware update file in this post contains the June 2016 Security Patch, too.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Unlocked Galaxy S6 Edge+ G928G:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 update file from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents.
– save the obtained updating file on your PC.
– the new update file should have the tar.md5 extension.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
– unzip the Odin contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the device.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the device.
– if your S6 Edge+ is not detected you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go to ODIN main window and open the ‘Options’ tab.
– make sure to disable the RE-Partition option, but don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Click the AP button in Odin.
- Find and load the Android 6.0.1 tar.md5 firmware file in ODIN.
- Click START to begin the Android 6.0.1 update process.
– don’t press anything else during the update.
- When installation is done you can see the PASS alert shown by the Odin app and your phone will reboot.
– note that the first boot process of this new official ROM should take at least 10 minutes to complete.
- Unplug the phone from PC and then use your default login info in order to regain complete control over it.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the update. In case you have encountered any problems during the installation, then you should check the extra info listed below.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by Odin or any other error blocks the update process, then you will need to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you decide to repeat installation you need to make sure that you won’t be skipping any steps and that your phone meets all the requirements listed above the tutorial.
If PASS is shown by Odin, but your Galaxy S6 edge+ takes too long to boot, or it enters in a boot loop, then you will need to ‘factory reset’ the system partition of your device.
The ‘factory reset’ process should be applied in case you have installed the new official Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too. The factory reset will wipe the system partition only, no data will be removed from the internal storage of your device.
Check the steps below and learn how to factory reset your phone:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
– the guide linked above is destined for Galaxy S6 Edge original models, but it will work for the S6 Edge Plus just as well.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- confirm the factory reset of your Galaxy S6 edge+.
- reboot your phone in normal mode when done.
If you need more help completing this guide then you should tell us in comments below.