The Android 6.0.1 update has been released by all the major Canadian carriers for all the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus users. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the new update manually and stop waiting for the official update to arrive over the air.
The new official update is rolling out in stages and it is being released by SaskTel, Bell Mobile, Koodoo Mobile, Telus, Virgin Mobile, and Videotron. If you are on one of these 6 Canadian carriers and the update has failed to arrive in your region, then you can easily update your device using the firmware files posted below along with the Odin app.
Check the following guidelines in order to make sure that your phone meets all requirements:
- use this post only with the Canadian variants of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus devices.
– the model number of your device has to be the SM – G928W8 and the carriers supported are listed above.
- do not attempt to update any other models with the files that you will find in this post.
- check your device’s model number under Settings> About Phone section.
- download these Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– the usb drivers will allow your PC to detect the phone and Odin to flash the new firmware update files successfully.
- Odin is a tool designed to help Samsung users to easily install the new Android 6.0.1 Update manually.
– for ODIN to work on your device you will need to disable any official Samsung software from running on your computer.
– Odin requires the usb drivers above to be installed and for USB Debugging to be enabled under Developer Options.
- USB Debugging can be enabled from under Developer Options.
– if you can’t find the Developer Options you will need to unhide it first by going to Settings> About Phone and tapping 7 times on the Build Number settings.
– return to Settings, scroll down and there you should find the new Developer Options section.
- if the phone is rooted, then root access will be lost in the process.
– any custom Recovery will be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can flash the update over a custom ROM, too, but a factory reset process has to be applied after the installation is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ has to be applied in order to remove the old custom ROM and force your device to boot in normal mode.
– factory resetting the device won’t delete any data stored on the internal storage.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
- if your phone is running 100% stock Android, then you can continue straight to the tutorial and learn how to flash a brand new official firmware for your device.
- check the battery power level of your phone, make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent it from switching off while the Android 6.0.1 is booted for the first time.
- read the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- this is a guide that you should only use if you are an advanced user.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
These were all the preparation steps you had to go over before starting the installation process of this new ROM.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Canadian Galaxy S6 edge Plus models:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 file corresponding to your S6 Edge Plus models from the links below:
– Android 6.0.1 update for SaskTel S6 Edge+ here.
– Android 6.0.1 update for Bell Mobile S6 Edg+ here.
– Android 6.0.1 update for Koodo Mobile S6 Edge+ here.
– Android 6.0.1 update for Telus S6 Edge+ here.
– Android 6.0.1 update for Virgin Mobile S6 Edge+ here.
– Android 6.0.1 update for Videotron S6 Edge+ here.
- When the download is done you can extract the contents from the archived file.
– you will obtain the firmware updating file with the .tar.md5 extension.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
– after Odin has been downloaded you should extract the archived contents.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Connect your device to your PC and wait for Odin to recognize it.
– if the Galaxy S6 Edge+ is not detected you will have to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go back to Odin’s main screen, open its ‘options’ tab and disable ‘re-partition’.
– if ‘re-partition’ was already disabled you can get to the next step.
– don’t edit any other default Odin settings.
- Click on Odin’s AP button in order to browse your PC for the .tar.md5 firmware updating file. Load the file in Odin.
- Hit the START button in order to begin the updating process of your Galaxy S6 Edge+ to Android 6.0.1.
– do not press any buttons until all the new firmware files are done installing on your device.
- When the updating process is complete you will see the phone rebooting in normal mode and the PASS alert shown by ODIN.
- Use your default login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
The first boot process of this new firmware is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
If you cannot complete the update, then you should check the extra info listed below.
If the installation fails for any reason, then you should try to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If you do repeat installation you should try to make sure that you won’t be skipping any steps and that your smartphone meets all requirements listed above.
If the PASS alert is shown by Odin, but your Galaxy S6 Edge+ plus enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ the smartphone.
The ‘factory reset’ steps need to be used by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to factory reset the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus models:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- boot the device in normal mode after the factory reset is done.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of an official Android update for Galaxy S6 Edge Plus Canada devices.